Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why do Coast Guard helicopters buzz my boat? >

Why do Coast Guard helicopters buzz my boat?

Notices

Why do Coast Guard helicopters buzz my boat?

Old 06-17-2016, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Small world. Yes that was me and I did get some air off that wake! And it was also at brown's that the chopper buzzed us last week.
LMAO, we were heading north from the DYC side, I came on plane and one of the guys aboard tapped my shoulder and said "whoa, he ain't gonna make it!" I turned my head in time to see your whole transom and chuckled. Said "if that's who I think it is, it ain't his first rodeo.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say it just depends on what part of the country your in as to why. If your running off the coast of FL or CA they're probably looking for contraband. Where you are they are more then likely just coming in close to take a look at a cool boat and to show off a little.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Twice they have come down right over the top of my boat from behind, very low. Are they looking to see what's in my boat? Surely if someone had contraband they would put it under the bow. I really don't mind but I wonder why they do it. Maybe just because they can. Once was last week and I hear fwap, fwap, fawp, fawp, fawp and I'm like crap what did I break now and over comes the chopper. Kind of cool actually but WTF? Both times have been on the channels around Harsen's Island on Lake St. Clair. Security really seems to be ramped up on this area of international waters this year.

Maybe you are just cute and they can't resist

3pointstar
Old 06-18-2016, 05:31 AM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Well I hope they are female officers at least.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I have lots of pics but there are MUCH more impressive boats out there than my little 22 Donzi.

Beautiful picture of your boat. As a friend of mine that owns several tour boats in the 1000 Islands region said to me as I was touring around Brockville in our 17' Four Winns Unlimited with my wife, " everything you own is small ". Luckily she spoke up, and yelled back, Not Everything. LOL He knows that I also own a Monster Miata, which is small, but sounds great with a balanced 347 stroker motor in it.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by frostyle
I think the style boats fit there profile...
I have gone out of san diego and been pulled over and had many flys overs....
have had pictures taken of my boat at launch from homeland security.. I just smile and talk with them cause I have nothing to hide or worry about...
Yes, they can profile boats but not Muslims.

Padraig
Old 06-18-2016, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Homeland security has already said "right wing extremists" are more of a danger than isis. Obviously the majority of people with nice boats are right leaning.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big Air Force base not far from LOTO, the stealths are based out of Whiteman. Mid day, mid week i am alone just out on a leisurely cruise by Big Dicks and i hear the thunder to look up and an Osprey has come up behind me. Heart skips but i think, "thats cool". A second later i see the back ramp is down and there stands a gunner behind a tripod with 50 cal trained on me.
I know it was for sh!ts and giggles... them giggling and me sh!tting. They banked off and rocked the wings a couple times. Funny guys, real F'n funny.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirdusa
Big Air Force base not far from LOTO, the stealths are based out of Whiteman. Mid day, mid week i am alone just out on a leisurely cruise by Big Dicks and i hear the thunder to look up and an Osprey has come up behind me. Heart skips but i think, "thats cool". A second later i see the back ramp is down and there stands a gunner behind a tripod with 50 cal trained on me.
I know it was for sh!ts and giggles... them giggling and me sh!tting. They banked off and rocked the wings a couple times. Funny guys, real F'n funny.
Not funny at all! I would have been on the phone asap. I have a problem with my government aiming guns at me.

Padraig
Old 06-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirdusa
Air Force had no business doing that. You aren't even near coastal waters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.