97 ft and 115K of pain up for grabs!

Notices

97 ft and 115K of pain up for grabs!

Old 07-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Who wants to sink a 100 grand minuim into that old pig Fountain.

As far as old foam core boats . I went down and checked out that 33 Powerplay that disintegrated off Marco island years ago . I was boating in the area where it happened an hour before , it was flat calm.

When a 70 mph boat jumping its own wake can disintegrate that badly in theses conditions , It makes you scratch your head.

There is a reason Skater still uses Balsa Core in their hulls.
something happened to that boat.. like previous damage or hitting the bottom
Attached Thumbnails 97 ft and 115K of pain up for grabs!-070107ns-boatcrash1_6025930_ver1.0_640_480.jpg  
Old 07-02-2016, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps someone, could finally explain this to me.

The Skater does not seem that old, why would someone spend a ton of money on an amazing boat and then (strip it), turn around and sell it only a few years later?

Wouldn't they want to use it as much as humanly possible for as many years as possible? (I would)

I notice that trend with a lot of the larger (usually custom) boats.

I understand there are some exceptions, fire sale, death, health related, divorce, etc.

I think if I had any of those boats, Id try to use it even after I'm dead!

The Fountain I could (maybe) understand because its 20 years old, but ( IMHO) still amazingly awesome!
Old 07-02-2016, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Offshore Dreamer
Perhaps someone, could finally explain this to me.

The Skater does not seem that old, why would someone spend a ton of money on an amazing boat and then (strip it), turn around and sell it only a few years later?

Wouldn't they want to use it as much as humanly possible for as many years as possible? (I would)

I notice that trend with a lot of the larger (usually custom) boats.

I understand there are some exceptions, fire sale, death, health related, divorce, etc.

I think if I had any of those boats, Id try to use it even after I'm dead!

The Fountain I could (maybe) understand because its 20 years old, but ( IMHO) still amazingly awesome!
People get bored.

If you have the means to keep having fun with differnt set ups, boats, and etc then why not.

I was bored with my sinic after year 1 and i was small potatoes compared to many.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:29 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
something happened to that boat.. like previous damage or hitting the bottom
That boat must have been drooped off a forklift and than sat next to a boat that burned to be that delamanated to break up in those calm conditions.

I used to sail Prindle catamarans. If it wasn't blowing 20 and 6 to 8 s out on the gulf I wasn't out.

Super cool to be hanging out on the Trapeze jumping over waves at 20 knots.

Very lightly built catamaran compared to a Hobie.. Once you beat them hard enough and the glass started to Shear away from the foam they were toast. Happens very quickly when you are out in those conditions.

Nursed quite a few back to the beach and folded up a few too.

Balsa may get wet wet and turn to mush but it won't shear like old foam core. I have seen a few old racing sailboats that were dark colored that looked like a road in the desert with heat ripples going through them.

Scary chit.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as old foam core boats . I went down and checked out that 33 Powerplay that disintegrated off Marco island years ago . I was boating in the area where it happened an hour before , it was flat calm.

When a 70 mph boat jumping its own wake can disintegrate that badly in theses conditions , It makes you scratch your head.

Powerplays are pieces of ****. I don't even use mine because of that incident.... everyone knows they have a reputation for being one of the worst rigged and built old v hulls out there.
I just sail in a frog pond on my hobie.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab63
Powerplays are pieces of ****. I don't even use mine because of that incident.... everyone knows they have a reputation for being one of the worst rigged and built old v hulls out there.
Mine sucked too, broke in half 5 times on me.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then sell it and give someone a chance to fly it into pieces
Old 07-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

Wasn't picking on Powerplays. But after being in the flat calm conditions an hour previously in the same spot the incident happened, and seeing the absolute destruction of that boat after the incident , and this was before anyone touched the wreckage , it makes you think.

Once the fiberglass skin shears away from the core it's like a shoe box that just got soaking wet.

Racing sailboats get sonograms to detect voids and core delamanation and failure.

God forbid a racing sailboat traveling 30 knots or better has a hull failure 2000 miles out at sea in the roaring 40s of the Indian Ocean.

Racing sailboats are and have been light years ahead of offshore boats in lamination and coring.

Hence the history of failures.

Frog Pond?

I bet 99.9 percent of the boats on this site could not keep up with these Low tech slow sailboats in these conditions.

https://youtu.be/xne1hOLTHcU

Last edited by tommymonza; 07-03-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dockrocker
Why on earth would you not take 30 minutes to at least wash the boat? Smh....
exactly ! so you can really see those Red Orange Yellow and Blue seats that were redone Why not take a pick of the galley?
Old 07-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeap . for another 40 g's you could just go to the launch ramp and be boating

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...at-o66289.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.