Box anchor or Fortress??????? >

Box anchor or Fortress???????

Notices

Box anchor or Fortress???????

Old 09-25-2002, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Box anchor or Fortress???????

I need to buy an anchor and have heard people talking about the box anchor. I've used a Fortress and like the light weight, but hear that the "box" is better.

What weight Box or Fortress should I buy?

Any thoughts?

Tied to a 2001 Powerquest 280 Silencer. 4800lbs. Use the boat mainly in the St. Johns River.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2002, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I previously used river anchors, cleated & fluted/Danforth types. I recently moved up from a 5500# boat to a 9000# boat...decided to try the "box" . My boat is 31 ft and I bought the next lowest sized (medium) BOX anchor than what was recommended as I am not using it in fast rivers or the ocean, just big lakes. I found that in relatively mild waters, it will hold with about 15% of the anchor rode required for a Danforth. The only disadvantage is weight & balance.....it does also pick up a bunch of mud!! But, it works and that is what is important. If you ever anchor up with others, this is what you need.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:45 PM
Registered

I have a box anchor and love it. Sets really quickly (and always on the first try). Folds up nicely as well. Doesn't need any chain or much scope either.

My boat is around 9000# so I went for the large one.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:45 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

There have been some good discussions on this. Try this link.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...ght=box+anchor
Old 09-25-2002, 01:05 PM
Registered

I have used the Fortress in sandy/mud conditions and was unable to get it to hold properly even with 4 feet of chain and 4 to 1 scope. I would certainly try a box anchor before the Fortress.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I had my box anchor "fail" on me, I was anchored in a channel and a freighter went buy, The current swung the boat arround and the box anchor turned up on it's side and then just drug through the sand sideways. Lucky I was on the boat and jumped off and pushed it out to deeper water before it was beached.

I find the anchor is heavy and a knee banger, Not real sold yet on it's superiority.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:17 PM
Registered

On the other hand, it the WIND had changed 180 degress a Danforth would have come loose also!! Almost nothing is totally fool proof. I wouldn't leave a boat anchored and totally unattended either!!
Old 09-25-2002, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard good things about both.
The box anchor is large and heavy, though. It seems a pain to pull up the side/bow of the boat and awkward to handle.

I have a fortress #11 and it is great. It sets the first time, every time and never a problem. I trust it for all day long anchoring.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:41 PM
Registered

It seems a pain to pull up the side/bow of the boat and awkward to handle.
My wife handles the anchoring duty (usually a couple of times each weekend) and said she prefers the box anchor over the danforth. She'll either drop it over the side and walk the rope to the bow or drop the anchor right from the bow. Either way she said its fine.

This is the first (full) season we've had it and don't have any complaints.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The thing with the box is it did not re-set it self if a danforth or what ever it is called traveled much across the bottom it would of re hooked soon, this just scooted across the sand on it's side. (surprised me)

I have the medium box it is heavy enough, let alone with sand in it. That's the other problem I have is when you pick it up the tines make like scoops and dunking it up and down does not clean it easy, I have to swoosh it from sie to side.

I am complaining too much I think.... I hate having to mess with the damn thing for any reason. It would be nice If I had an anchor locker too. .....Hey that's a good reason to buy the 42' fountain I seen at the boat show.....

Quick Reply: Box anchor or Fortress???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.