Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Chevy Avalanche (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33899-chevy-avalanche.html)

MnFastBoat 09-29-2002 03:16 AM

Chevy Avalanche

How has them?
How are they for towing?
Comfort level for long hauls?
Hill Climbing? Damn LOTO hills killed my tranny :(
How much will a 1500 tow?
How much better will a 2500 with hte 8.1 and Allison be then the 1500 6.0?

How has the best deal on one??

velocity260 09-29-2002 08:00 AM

my friends dad has one 2500/8.1 does doe any real towing with it, rides just like a suburban. They are based on the sub's chasse. I have a 2500 sliverado with the 6.0 and does great for towing. But the 8.1 has more power and you only suffer like 1-2mpg difference. We drove 3.5hrs in his rode just fine compared to my 3/4 ton.

Gearhead99 09-29-2002 02:00 PM

Need to change the look of the truck. Too much bolt on stuff hanging all over it.
Also, don't see an advantage to the "Switch" thing that they pushed on the TV ads.

ragtop409 09-29-2002 02:24 PM

"Switch"

Not sure of the TV thing, but I think it would be real usefull for hauling long stuff. In my home renovation I halled lots of 20 foot stuff (lumber tubing pipe interior trim phberglass car port stuff) in my old BURB with the back window roled down and slid to the dash. Cant do that with a regular short bed truck. Charlie

SmilingBob 09-29-2002 03:45 PM

I have one with the North Face Package, it is more comfortable than the F150 (my opinon) on long halls. I go to on long hall several times a year and it is perrty comfortable for a truck. As for hulling it tows my Donzi 26 fine, no prblems on the hills or the ramps. As for the styling when I bought mine and there was an older couple (60's or so) at the dealer and they walked out the door just infront of me. I over heard the man say it was the uglist truck he has ever seen and that just brought a smile to my face. If you like different this is it.:D :D :D

jmeng 09-29-2002 07:51 PM

My dad has a 1500 Avalanche and loves it. Pulls a 29 Outlaw with it and it does great for short pulls on the level roads around here. No problem running 70+ on the interstate. I'm not crazy about the plastic but it is practical. Don't have to worry about door dings and there is some built in storage in the bed. I'm thinking about getting one as my next truck.

skaterize 09-29-2002 10:39 PM

Well, Its funny that everyone thinks its ugly, Chevy obviously loves the amount sold cause the new silverado looks just like it. I to thought it was ugly too but no door dings. I sold chevy for 4 years and owned every thing they have to offer and will be keeping this one. Its all around great I only tow about 6500lbs and have no problem. If you wait just little longer you will be able to get duramax in the 2500. If you want a diesel if not the 6.0 or 8.1 are both great motors. Buy one youll enjoy it. Craig

Bill272 09-29-2002 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a 2500 with the 8.1L and 3.73 rear end, good for 10,100 towing. I'm pulling a Formula 272 on a triple axle steel trailer that comes in around 9,000#. Compared to my previous truck, a 99 Tahoe, it tows great. The Tahoe used to really squat down with the boat on the hitch and I don't get any of that now. I was over 2000# over my rating with the Tahoe though. Mileage blows, 11-13 in the city, 14-15 on the highway. It does have a 37 gallon tank though, so I was able to drive from Tennessee to Detroit on a tankful. The only problem I've had was that my parking brake cable broke, not good when you're launching and retrieving.

Styling is whatever you think of it. I think they messed up by squaring off the wheelwells and putting the extra detail on the plastic cladding. I've never hit any paint when opening my door close to any car or truck yet though, so it is functional. I like the look, and have gotten a lot of compliments on it, even from some in the Buick demographic. I've seen the pictures of the new "uncladded" version and don't like it. It's way to plain, but they did round off the wheelwells. I've got this one for another 15 months, but if they're running any good specials on them when I turn it in, I'd probably get another.

MnFastBoat 09-29-2002 11:19 PM

Thanks guys for the input
I have too at times thought it is fugly :(

BUt when I start to look more into it I like the features it has for me
I have had 3 suburbans and one truck with this boat :)
I like the security of the lockable bed.
I only have the suburban for the storage and security of hte back end. NOt to mention the added wheel base.
As someone mentinoed the switches inside I feel would work great for me
I not always need something long to haul, but even at times with the suburban I am unable to.
Plus this will allow me room to put in a snowmobile or atv in the future.
Like another post was stating, maybe I will just wait and hopld out for the deisel. Even though I am not a deisel person at all.
Never owned one and hate the smell of them :(

Thanks again adn keep the comparisons coming
I really like the color of the one posted, not to mention the lack of plastic. I like the no door dig idea, but it owuld be better if all the plastic was not gray

mcollinstn 09-29-2002 11:43 PM

Sold one to a guy who put a 3" lift and 35" tires on it. That ended up being the first one I could look at without retching. Looked plenty cool. Trans went at 18,000 miles (had 3,000 on it when he bought it from me). 1/2-ton with 5.3 V8. If you plan to run a 1/2 ton, then get a BIG trans cooler for it...