Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Towing 47 Fountain Through Canada (Ontario) >

Towing 47 Fountain Through Canada (Ontario)

Notices

Towing 47 Fountain Through Canada (Ontario)

Old 07-15-2016, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As to dimensions...length you're not going to be over length legally. Sensibilities and physics suggest with 50 plus feet behind you sitting on a ball at the back of a tow vehicle...this is less than ideal. Best case is a 5th wheel set up...get the weight over the axle shorten the overall length and reduce the pendulum effect. Width on the other hand...they are looking for overall width, so if your trailer is like mine where the boat sits inside the wheel fenders and wheels...the width of the boat is irrelevant. It's the width of the trailer that is the concern.

As suggested, if you are legal in your home state, then odds are you'll be fine here. if on the odd chance an issue comes up with an authority, plead ignorance, get your best salesman tone on ... the one used for the Fountain skanks... and schmooze the guy... ask him to teach you...educate you so you are a "better and more responsible driver".

Enjoy the drive, and when ya get to the lake, have a pile of safe fun.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
+1

I have measured my 06 47 several places, and can't find the 9' part. Mine even states 8'6" on all the USCG documentation. Not sure what kind of trailer it is on, but on a 53' aluminum MYCO I weigh in right at 19800 LBS with about half tank of fuel. My '16 Dually will handle 20k on the ball. The truck handles like a dream, but be aware you will most likely be over weight with a SRW depending on the combination.

Only place I've been hassled for lenght was at a tollbooth in NY on the way to Buffalo... go figure
Just tell'em it's a Fountain and the first 3' of boat don't count!

Last edited by dockrocker; 07-16-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:53 AM
Banned

Also in Canada the constitution has the human rights act that guarantees the right of inter-provincial transportation. Coles note version of Canadian law. Granted we have a court system because law enforcement and prosecutors can be wrong in how they apply laws. So I'm not saying a cop or weigh scale cop wont mess with you. Like all cops when wrong, they'll just say argue in court, even if you are a lawyer. But the constitution trumps all provincial laws!

In Alberta you can be up to 10ft if the trailer has sleeping arrangements. An Albertan can drive in Ontario with a 10ft wide trailer in Ontario. If they get a ticket or they wont let them continue from a weigh scale. Both would be unconstitutional. Coles note version. Federally they are exempt from certain laws because the constitution says they can move about with a car based on their provinces rules. Anyone from another province since all others are 8.5 can't do it! Americans crossing the border also get an exemption as long as its not a public safety issue ie speeding or DUI.

Federal law says:
No. Section 7(1)(b) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA), allows a visitor to temporarily enter Canada with a motor vehicle without complying with the MVSA if the vehicle is used only by a visitor to Canada or a person passing through Canada en route to another country.
Again police miss understand laws all the time. Not saying you wont get harassed. Just saying if a Canada custom agents let you in, its on the basis you can go anywhere in Canada as is. Since most US states have mandatory insurance, they rarely ask for proof. But if you don't have it and they let you in, the police might ticket you but legally they can't stop you from driving your car. Hence they are supposed to ask for proof of insurance at the border. All provinces have mandatory minimums of insurance to drive on their roads. Say BC's minimum was 100K and Ontario's was 500K. A BC person could still legally drive in Ontario under the inter provincial travel laws. Sure they could still get hassled but its legal. A Canadian could also drive a Canadian car in the US without insurance. But since police can be ignorant of the laws, my insurance states on it: meets all Canadian provinces and US state legislative minimums for insurance.

Last edited by max930; 07-16-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:06 PM
Banned

For Canadians in the charter you have the right to move around the country. Since the charter was written in modern times you have the right to move around in a vehicle as registered by your province. Its unconstitutional for a province to apply a law that would stop from using your transportation that is legal in your province. Americans have similar charter rights just their right to work anywhere in Canada is restricted.