Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lake Lanier - lessons learned >

Lake Lanier - lessons learned

Notices

Lake Lanier - lessons learned

Old 07-20-2016, 01:35 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have not heard any really hard details. Does anyone here know who was driving? I wondered if the "V" hull guy was driving his buddies cat??? The handling difference of these two hulls could have been the answer.

We were going to sunset cove shortly after the incident and saw all the blue lights and curious boaters. I kept going and after we tied up we heard a boat had flipped. I can recall reading of accidents here so many times and it is never good but I was not at those events. I was at this one and it really struck me hard thinking of so many times I have read and heard and now I was there. Prayers for the families.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

As boats go faster and faster the chances of accidents/deaths increase exponentially, flip a boat with a life line on at 65 and youll probably be telling the story at the bar that night, flip a boat at 130 and the life line will help them find whats left of you, truth. I was at the wreck at SOTW minutes after it happened, sucked!
Old 07-20-2016, 01:49 PM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aquaforce
I have not heard any really hard details. Does anyone here know who was driving? I wondered if the "V" hull guy was driving his buddies cat??? The handling difference of these two hulls could have been the answer.

We were going to sunset cove shortly after the incident and saw all the blue lights and curious boaters. I kept going and after we tied up we heard a boat had flipped. I can recall reading of accidents here so many times and it is never good but I was not at those events. I was at this one and it really struck me hard thinking of so many times I have read and heard and now I was there. Prayers for the families.
From the picture of the boat leaving the dock it appears the owner was driving. Boat had 1650 s in it a rocket ship. Godspeed to all of them. Sad news.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Nashville Catz was a Nortech 43 Supercat and it hit a Eliminator and 5 died in Texas that day. Fiore died in his brand.......The logo on the side doesn't matter.
I think the Turbine Eliminator ran into Nashville Catz
Old 07-20-2016, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so much for " rest in peace " lessons learned really ? we don't even know what happened and were already hashing what and how to fix chit ... give these folks a break ... that's my fix .
Old 07-20-2016, 10:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbojack
I think the Turbine Eliminator ran into Nashville Catz
I thought the same, but I found an article on the accident and I believe the Eliminator had a malfunction and turned into the path of the Nortech. Another terrible day.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Anybody going to address the white elephant in the room?

It's not vests. It's not cats. It's not kill switches......
Apparently not. Too bad, really.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
so much for " rest in peace " lessons learned really ? we don't even know what happened and were already hashing what and how to fix chit ... give these folks a break ... that's my fix .
Thank you.... a voice of reason. Fact is you tempt fate by waking up in the morning. Sadly, it is another ACCIDENT, yes a tragic one, that claimed lives and will have an impact on the sport just as Mike Fiore's passing, the Key West Tragedy and unfortunately, a long list of others have had.

We are all here on borrowed time - Live life or have it pass you by living inside a bubble. Key Board speculating here on something that would have prevented the lives lost is nothing more soap-box rhetoric. Fact is you can drown in less than 2" water...

I never met those involved but obviously they were near and dear to many. Cherish their memories and what they brought to the world of those around them. My deepest sympathies to those in mourning and god speed to the four on board the Skater.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
That's what this place has turned into Rob which is why many of the originals have left or barley post any more. I've been here since 02 and LOTS has changed this being one of the main ones. SADDLE UP son

Last edited by SkaterMike82; 07-21-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:30 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by SkaterMike82
That's what this place has turned into Rob which is why many of the originals have left or barley post any more. I've been here since 02 and LOTS has changed this being one of the main ones. SADDLE UP son
This has been going on as long as I can remember.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.