Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Umm yeah, I paid and still can't post due
to some e-mail name confusion.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:35 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris believe me they are looking and trying to find a happy medium btwn what the advertisers are asking for and what the guys who post on the board want. It is not as easy as you would think.

Jon
Old 09-30-2002, 05:45 PM
Registered

Here we go again.

DanL and Back4More you have been e-mailed concerning your issues.

Others,

It started off as everyone posting classifieds, when we started charging for classifieds and the under $200 section was added there were not nearly as many ads and some people even had 10-20 parts all under $200. The original complaint was that no-one could sell a $20 part, under $200 was then free and there were only a few $20-$50 parts but there were a whole lot of people with a $1000 worth of parts all less than $200 a piece. We think that the fees are nothing compared to what you get .

Platinum Membership:

You get to watch a 1hr and 56 minute race video that costs over $59 to buy.

You get a T-shirt that when you wear it it will make more people come to the site and buy your parts.

You get a decal same as above.

You get unlimited FREE Classifieds in both the Classifieds section as well as the Bulletin Board section for a year.

You get 20% off store clothing.

All this for $49.95 for one year.

If you see no value in this then you are only here to sell your parts and not to be a part of a fraternity of boaters. You get expert advise here from some of the most knowledgable people in this industry. Forget parts, people get to Post their Poker Runs, Pictures, get togethers, etc for free. Events that they make money off of or raise money for. This website is more than just about parts for sale not to mention how expensive it is to operate.

To the people that are Platinum and Charter members we thank you as most of you have thanked us for providing a playground that is essentially free of charge.

Audio was able to speak to a professional boat builder at 11pm on a conference call because he was afraid he had a problem with his gelcote curing, the call was initiated by OSO after seeing his concern and frustration posted. Any value there? Thank you Charter member Audio.

We are just not going to see eye to eye with everyone and there are other sites out there to go to. If you believe in us and want to be a part of this sight growing and being prosperous for all including those of you selling parts then you will trust that a nominal fee is par for the course.

As far as the advertisers there is absolutely no competition in the parts for sale section versus the advertisers. Two completely different topics totally unrelated.

The Charter/Platinum Member forum does not have many posts because it is designed mainly as a read section for us to announce things that are necessary to those members.

Anyone who is in Miami please feel free to stop by and visit our office so we can show you cost, manpower, equipment, and time that goes in to this site. I guarantee you when you leave you will feel differently.

For those of you that have given to this site and have not gotten what you were promised we are a phone call away.

OSO
Old 09-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Now I know how slow of a typer he is and that took him almost a week to type
Old 09-30-2002, 06:18 PM
ShipWrecked

Old 09-30-2002, 06:18 PM
FOUNDER and BG1
Charter Member

Guys - Let's agree that we'll never reach a 100% consensus on this issue. Steve and I have tried to find the right balance between the desires of the membership and the operational costs of the site.

Every "for sale" website on earth that has any kind of decent traffic charges something to advertise. It is a very simple premise. You are receiving a service and there is a cost related to that service.

That being said - look at everything else OSO offers. We're not just a classified ads site like Boat Trader. I'm not going to reiterate everything Steve mentioned as he made it quite clear. OSO is clearly so much more than any one thing. We're not just a website for classified ads or a website for boat clothing. OSO is a very comprehensive site for the powerboating enthusiast and we are constantly improving on that premise.

We realize that we will never be everything to everyone. That is clear. We do believe that we can offer everyone something. Maybe some of you might not be 100% satisfied with the way we operate our Classifieds - but you love the Board. The point is that we cannot make everyone happy. Everyone's situation is different.

We welcome the comments and everything is always taken into consideration. Not everything can be made a reality - but everything is considered.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:25 PM
Registered

Well said guys!!! I love OSO! I'm looking forward to becoming a triple platinum member as soon as it is available. Now, back to boating (I wish).....okay back to surfing OSO.

Thanks for all your hard work!
Old 09-30-2002, 06:34 PM
DanL

I disagree that the advertisers don't consider the independent parts sales when committing ad bucks. I had a fair number of hi-po blocks and heads left over from the race program and got an email from an OSO advertiser warning me to pull the ad because the parts were too cheap. That was 3-4 weeks before you killed the free classifieds. Sounded to me like the advertisers were made a promise about this very thing being taken care of. The timing was suspicious. I have always obliged you and your motives, but Jeffrey, you did make a promise to keep the site free and non-commercial.

Old 09-30-2002, 06:51 PM
Registered

Did Jeffrey say free or not-for-profit?

I have the opportunity to speak to someone that knows about building websites and after him looking at this one he was telling me about some of the costs (servers and all the computer mumbo-jumbo that I dont know about) and wow is all i can say, it aint cheap.

I know i will take up that open invitation when i am in Miami.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:13 PM
jb
Registered

OK now I feel like ****. I am not a platinum, charter or whatever member who donated money so I dont rate. This Is the impression I am getting. I cant tell ya how many frickin people I have personally made register for this site since OCTOBER 2000.
I remember when it was the old board and the PIT BULL incident was the hot issue.
Then the new board came out and I did not get up early enough and was the 104th person to register. I couldnt wait to verify my identity, because I was jb...not some made up name. Identity was also a hot issue in early 2000(before October when we started registering).I was pissed Miller beat me...he was member number 13.

I was at the first OSO meeting at the Miami boat show. Worth it right there!

Currently, I do not see the value of Platinum for what I want. I have no boat to sell, and the 'pay per' sections did not tickle me at this time. I DO think the Platinum is a good value for some , not all. But that is fine(OSO knows it cant be everything to everyone)

I personally would rather Pay to be a member, not a 'pay and you get special privelages member'.
I would gladly send a check to pay my fair share. I think about it everytime I log on. But I want my title not to be PLatinum, or Charter, but the more important...Paid, cause I love this place...title

Where do I send a check?

Last edited by jb; 09-30-2002 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply: What has happened here? Please read

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.