Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What has happened here?  Please read >

What has happened here? Please read

Notices

What has happened here? Please read

Old 09-29-2002, 03:45 PM
meander77

Default What has happened here? Please read

I was going to post this under the questions and comments section but since it appears that section is more for the illusion that we ( the members ) are being listened to I figured it was better to post here.

I have to admit that I do not post much and rarely ever comment on anything. However that being said I read almost all of the posts. I quietly gather some of, in my opinion, the best data in the world for what all of our collective hobby is…performance boating. Being a college student and owning an 18 Donzi I have been into performance boats since I was 15 years old and I have loved every minute of it. But since I am a student my budget is not always as large as some of the other members. One of the ways over the years I have tried to stretch my budget was by buying used parts. When I first came to this board its best feature was the parts for sale section. Finally a place where people could get rid of their unwanted parts and people looking for these parts could get them at a more reasonable price. Over the last few years I have slowly watched as the parts for sale sections have cut down little by little. Every time a section goes away there is a small outcry and sometimes you even concede and give us a little back. However given a couple months that concession quickly goes by the wayside and more sections are canned or restricted.

I know that you are trying to make money and this is a business but I ask you as a member, a student and a person can you please try to make money some other way then restricting the parts for sale section. Any restriction on the parts for sale section essentially kills it. What the members need is a place where they can easily and quickly post used parts they have at little to no inconveince to them. As I said I know this is a business and someone needs to make a profit but how about we come to some sort of compromise. Unless we open a for sale section to the public with no required fees there will never be the free flowing plethora of parts there once were. So what I propose is that you ask for a $10 donation from all members. In return the parts section is back, free and its only restriction is that it be used by persons not businesses. I know there will always be a few people who would just say let the other guy pay the $10 but judging by the caliber of the members here I think you would have enough honorable people that would come forward and send in the few $ to have the section back. I know this is what you have tried to essentially do with the platinum memberships and so forth but unless every Joe can post in that section there never be the availability of parts we have come to like.

Hope this makes some sense

Chris Allard
Webb Institute of Naval Architecture

Last edited by meander77; 09-29-2002 at 04:09 PM.

Old 09-29-2002, 03:52 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to simply look at becoming a Platinum member. It's only $20 more than what you offered to pay, and you get several more benifits than simply a classified section.

It;s$$ well spent.

my .02 at least
Old 09-29-2002, 03:58 PM
meander77

I would have no problem with that but it isn't the point...

I can become a platinum member all I want but that still doesn't let the guy who just happens to be lurking around and have a box full of parts in his garage post them. I don't care if I can post there. I care if other people who are selling stuff can.

Old 09-29-2002, 03:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think his point is that non members can't post cheap stuff and don't want to pony up for the Platinum fee, thus they don't put parts for sale.
Old 09-29-2002, 04:05 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I don't have the same feeling as you guys. I've never looked for or had any use for the little things posted.

I guess I can see your point, but that's what ebay is for.
Or Nort's site. what's the name? Boatparts.com or something?
Old 09-29-2002, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If I had to pay $10 up front to become a member here I wouldn't be here right now. Although it would be my loss. I wouldn't have taken the opportunity to see the value in this forum if I had to pay originally. This would have kept me away as well as others I am sure. This site gets several new members every week that probably wouldn't be here right now if they had to pay. That would be our loss as well as their's.

I feel that if we have an up front charge that new membership will start declining a lot.

While I do see the value in $$$$ spent here for Platinum Memberships and so on, a new member may not. Paying the membership fee to take further advantage of the privelages here are not a problem for me. But I don't think someone looking at the site from the outside would be as quick to join if they had to pay to enter.

Buck
Old 09-29-2002, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Payton
Sorry I don't have the same feeling as you guys. I've never looked for or had any use for the little things posted.

I guess I can see your point, but that's what ebay is for.
Or Nort's site. what's the name? Boatparts.com or something?
Yeah, you could do that: www.OffshoreBid.com

It's an auction site though, not a clasifieds site, but it's free.
Old 09-29-2002, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel that if we have an up front charge that new membership will start declining a lot.

I lurked for 6 months because I figered it would caust to join. I was so addicted from lurking I payed up for a Platnium membership.

I do miss the under $200 and feel it would be nice for the casual lurker to be able to post sales of there cheep junk they have lying around. Because it could be others treshers (sp)

Also love Nort's site layout just wish more people could find it and post stuff that they whant to get rid of. I think there is only about 10 items. Charlie

Last edited by ragtop409; 09-29-2002 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:45 PM
Banned

I also think the $200 parts section should remain free. Like Chris pointed out, someone just breezing through may decide to post some parts he wants to get rid of. The small fee would probably change his mind.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:20 PM
jb
Registered

I agree that there are a lot of Parts People out there missing out.
I used to look there/sell there all the time, but have not looked in months because there is not the wide variety of things I cant find anwhere local. The deals have dwindled and the odd parts I did not know I needed dont come up. Every great site has a free swap/ parts / classified of some sort that is nickel and dime related. Leave the big expense to the classified with boats etc.

I thought about Platinum because I felt guilty with all the incredible changes and all. But I did not see myself getting any benefit from it. I did not join the Charter when it came out because I did not want a sticker. I feel like I need to toss a check in the mail to pay my fair share with all the restricted areas being built. There are not many posts in those restricted areas...who s gonna go there. I feel more inclined to give to the drambuie charity thing than a membership. Thats worth my time.

Quick Reply: What has happened here? Please read

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.