Water leak advice needed. video and pictures included >

Water leak advice needed. video and pictures included

Notices

Water leak advice needed. video and pictures included

Old 07-27-2016, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee
Trim manifold block under outside of transom assembly, loose or bad gasket or if it's equipped with an exhaust Y-pipe it it too can be loose.
Looks too high to be the trim block on the bottom.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Block off plate loose? Should be 3/8 12 point but you won't be able to get to them with motors in
Old 07-27-2016, 09:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

It appears the water is coming in across the exposed part of the transom cutout.

On the outside of the transom assembly on the bottom there is a distribution block for the trim/tilt hoses. That is what is leaking in that video. Unbolt it, put a new gasket on, reseal and go boating.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
It appears the water is coming in across the exposed part of the transom cutout.

On the outside of the transom assembly on the bottom there is a distribution block for the trim/tilt hoses. That is what is leaking in that video. Unbolt it, put a new gasket on, reseal and go boating.
man if that is really all that it is i will do back flips. it seems like it is up higher than that. taking my bore scope down tomorrow to see if i can see more.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On older bravos or for a period of time they took the greese zirk off of the outer plate where the steering spindle resides, it would rust and kill the seal and the water would come in where the shifting arm goes through the inner transom bracket above the drive shaft. I would look there, put the boat in the water and have 2-3 people stand on it and youll know right away if its that. Good news and bad news on this. The spindle and seal are cheap, but to get them replaced you have to pull the motors. BUT I would have to find it theres a company that sells a kit with a plate. You cut out the a hole in the outer bracket, from there you can remoce the spindle and replace the seal, and cover it with a SS plate. Think the kits are like 20-30 bucks, and they will send you special milled tools to get it done. I think between parts and labor I spent 150 bucks or something. My fountain had the problem.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

actually found it http://www.jrmarine.com/instructions.htm

Best way to find the leak is going to put it in the water, maybe even with some chop and 2-3 guys standing on the back bouncing up and down, open the hatch and watch.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Guys - please watch the video, before we send him on a wild goose chase replacing swivel seals, bellows and transoms - the water is WAY down low, where the trim hoses are coming through.

RGP - please start simple, and investigate that distribution plate I mentioned.

EDIT - now that I'm looking at the pictures and not just the video I wonder if your block off plate for the exhaust is also leaking. You might have multiple problems.

Last edited by seafordguy; 07-28-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Registered

Transom assembly is rotting out. Looks like one of the previous owners tried using a silicone to seal it. I will be removing all of the silicone and cleaning it up applying some 4200 to get me through the season then pulling both engines and replacing with HP transom assemblies this fall.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Registered

Tested the block off plate today by holding a hose in the hole outside not a drop inside.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Whoa...... That thing is in bad shape. I'll change my diagnosis to "you have a big problem", and I'd be prepared for some transom damage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.