Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are Great Lakes Really Rougher Than Oceans? >

Are Great Lakes Really Rougher Than Oceans?

Notices

Are Great Lakes Really Rougher Than Oceans?

Old 03-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Bostonirish
Not sure I’d its been mentioned as I didn’t have tome to read through this entire thread but I chalenge anyone to try boating in New England cape cod area!!
We raced there one year around 2001 with APBA. One of the roughest race I have ever been in to this day !!! I also remember racing in Buffalo NY around that same time that the water was to big on the second day to race.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Try having super high drives, and coming off plane in 7 footers, that's no fun! Then the boat won't get back on plane because of the close span, and you almost get swamped/capsized, no bueno!.
Yep

I used to change the set up on my twin O/B 24' Sonic to go to Erie. Where the benifit of easily dropping O/Bs really pays.

I set them up to LAUNCH on to plane.
I always figured in anything over about 3' - 4's if I lost power (or couldn't get back on plane) I had 3 or 4 waves to get my **** together or it was going down from taking waves over the transom as they always swing bow down wind (waves over transom) at loss of power.
I used to carry a sea anchor to get bow in wind just in case.

Ive done Atlantic and Great Lakes in same 24' Sonic.
Ive done 6'+ head on in Atlantic at slow cruising speed.
6 in Erie you fight to stay on plane if you can at all. Pretty much mandatory you alter course to take them quartering.

At speed, where/when you can alter course to suit waves, the Atlantic is like driving a 911 through steep/short hills on a country road.

On Lake Erie......, its like falling down a flight of stairs on a set of crutchs.

FullForce, love the pixs dude! Seems we never have a camera man when it hits the fan.

Erie will teach you to read the waves and set the boat up for them or break ****.

Came off a wave in the Sonic once and broke both cabin doors off.
1/2" plexi, two hinges per, three 2" screws per, into.......OAK!
Old 03-22-2018, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

On the most extreme days during the biggest storms, definitely not, but on most every other day I believe Lake Michigan is worse than most oceans that we would ever find ourselves recreational boating on. And that's the key, I don't know anyone that would take an offshore boat to Cape Horn. The one telling evidence is that when I go to the east coast I frequently see boat slips and marinas that are open to the ocean with no protection. I've been boating on Lake Michigan for 20+ years and I've never seen a marina or dock that wasn't safely behind a breakwall made of huge stones. And I've seen waves crash over these breakwalls, so imagine what it would be like without them.

It's an apples-to-oranges comparison and both demand respect and skill.

GF?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by Slippery
Don't want to hijack this thread but you have no idea & it's not just guys. Kim Lumley holds the Women's Open record at just over 54 minutes.

A friend holds the Master's record and was the first guy over 60 to finish in under 60 mins.

I'd have to look but I think the youngest to complete the course was like 7 years old.

62 miles round trip from a dead stop, slow down around the turn boat, dealing with the ocean and other boat traffic; the top classes make the trip in under an hour so do the math on how fast they're skiing & the Aussies consider it an endurance race.

The skier we pulled skis back home behind "Superman", a 21' hull with a 540 TT in front of a number 6 - at well over a 100 mph and is skiing doubles.

Just my .02 but the athletes who water ski race get nowhere near the recognition they deserve. Most people not involved somehow aren't aware it even happens.

Again, sorry for the hijack

s
100% agreed.

I always wanted to do it.
I remember being best shape in my life, slalom skiing 3 times a week and practicing speed sling behind my boat.
It would pull me @ 60 and we skied on a 3 mile lake. Best I ever did was 2 laps and couldn't even crawl in boat when done!

i have friends that ski race in Australia and the Bridge to Bridge race is on my bucket list.

Search on YouTube for those that haven't seen it.
Also, some of the most amazing iron you'll see.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Probably a good general statement above, but there are tidal waves that are spread out, and then wind induced waves that are not...plus....there are just so many different areas in the ocean that these same height waves can be very different from themselves also. Tide waves fighting wind waves fighting current waves, plus dry land and land shapes under water....

As example, Did you know that Maine, itself, has 3,478 miles of shoreline ? Yes, that's a wow !
That, itself, shows that it will present a ton of different ocean conditions just offshore.
Michigan has the longest freshwater coastline in the US and the second longest coast line in the US next to Alaska.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waves. Not as big as ocean but swells are much closer together. Get over a wave and bury your nose into the next one or riding between and the one behind you looks like it's about to fill your boat if you even think about stopping
Old 03-25-2018, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to rough today but spaced out more then normal

Last edited by 1989mach1; 03-25-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:11 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989mach1

Not to rough today but spaced out more then normal
Wow...nice view!
Old 03-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks
Old 05-16-2019, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Boat a lot on lake Huron and have run into some pretty bad weather over the years. One of my best boating days (and I have only seen this once) there were 4' swells placed a long distance apart. Far enough I could keep my 250 Sundance on plane. I don't know what caused that but it was awesome, I'm still chasing that but usually it's 2' closely spaced waves. BTW, my 242 Formula handles much better than the 250DA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.