The Brand New 2017 - 29 BUILD Follow Along >

The Brand New 2017 - 29 BUILD Follow Along

Notices

The Brand New 2017 - 29 BUILD Follow Along

Old 08-11-2016, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by midwest272
Have always liked those hulls , thinking twin LS7 's around 600 hp running with bravo's would be fast and affordable

Good luck with your project ........looks like a winner
You still have two engines to buy, two I/O units, two of everything really. Single engine/drive will be more affordable than twins at the disadvantage of 1/2 the power. At 665 cubic inches this probably won't be too slow though.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:03 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,106 Likes on 1,400 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
We are doing exactly that. 665 CID. Our engine plans has changed from the original plan. Still an I/O.

Alot more info on the engine build to come. Parts have been ordered on that end.
Wowzer !

Drive ?
Old 08-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck very nice project. What drive will you be using
Old 08-15-2016, 12:23 PM
Registered

From Saturdays vacuum bagging session.
Very laborious intense process.

Seeing and doing it firsthand - Now I know why its a differentiator in the marketplace.

On the drive question (We're hoping Bup will go SCX)

UD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID95JyOrVOY
Attached Thumbnails The Brand New 2017 - 29 BUILD Follow Along-img_2596.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 08-15-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:38 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The IMCO SCX is one of the drives being looked at for the build. We all KNOW the Merc bravo XR is totally out of the MIX for this app.

As far as Mark at Throttles Performance what names he goes by on other sites I have no idea. But I do not think its 900 hp for those. I will bring up - yes it is him up here on OSO as screen name 900 hp.

He is involved in alot other performance apps & projects than you would even know about. I am in very good hands here having Mark @ Throttles Performance all over this engine build plus does anyone really think that I am not smart enough on the marine side to know better who could tackle a huge powerhouse marine build ?? Come on now, my experience on the marine side is vastly deep, not to pat myself on the back but it is what it is . Just saying.

Not only Mark is the engine builder for this project but he has become a great friend on top of. Believe me when I say this, Mark is treating the complete build like he was building it for himself and his mother, if that tells you anything as it has for me.

Last edited by BUP; 08-18-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following this build on the forums, looking forward to seeing it out of the mold. Always been a big Lavey fan, Chris's attention to detail is second to none.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:41 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I think this would be a very appropriate word phrase to use - To catch everyone ( UP TO SPEED ) on the 29 Build process.

CONTINUE TO FOLLOW ALONG with the video below. Please feel free to leave comments and on the YouTube Video. Thanks. Cool video to say the least. I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcLY7x7EvTE

Last edited by BUP; 09-07-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Subscribed!
Old 09-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
The core material (balsa) is cut like puzzle pieces on the band saw.
Then it gets fitted and laid out on a dry run and marked both numerically and directionally per piece - so it can be rapidly assembled.
UD
Thanks for taking us along with this build! I do not even pretend to know, but why use wood in the hull? I had thought that many boats are "woodless" so that rot is less of a problem. Like I say, I do not know a thing about boat building, so this may very well be the norm.

Keep up the good work and pictures!
Old 09-08-2016, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 36Tango
Thanks for taking us along with this build! I do not even pretend to know, but why use wood in the hull? I had thought that many boats are "woodless" so that rot is less of a problem. Like I say, I do not know a thing about boat building, so this may very well be the norm.

Keep up the good work and pictures!
Thanks! Damm good question, I'll do my best to answer.

In many instances "wood" is still the very best material to use regardless of what the material cost might be - In that end grain balsa is "wood"

If you go to the build site on the laveycraft home page you can see a listing of core material strength and compare balsa to some other available materials in terms of tensile strength, shear and shear modulus, the manmade products aren't even close. Turns out its pretty hard to beat mother nature.

This is is why companies like Skater and DCB still use and insist on Balsa as a core material.

The vac bag process pulls the resin through the core material that is essentially a group of cubes on a scrim backing- material basically encasing it fully so that any intrusion that may occur is completely localized to that one particular cube shaped piece that is surrounded on all sides with fiberglass.

Where wood doesn't work well and you don't want it is on the floor on or in the interior pieces The 2750 up the cockpits are all fully linered and 2 pieces all fiberglass with the dash assembly inserted - any water that gets inside drains to the bilge so there is no wood to rot.

The gunwhale area is all fiberglass and inserted into the mold when the halves are joined making the gunwale effectively 1 pice and completely impervious to any water intrusion. Most boats use a wooden and cloth "insert" frame type interior, that loosens up and with the repeated pounding, and rots after time and must be replaced.

Because all the seating surfaces except the driver and passenger seats are molded into the hull the " interior" is just a small cushion sitting on fiberglass pedestal and a "ring" around the gunwhale opening. As to the buckets being secure there is an aluminum piece thats inserted between the 2 halves thats tapped and drilled- you can hang the boat upside down from the seats an they won't come off.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 09-08-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.