Old 08-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

6 10x30's
4 4.5'x12" inflatables
Old 08-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

three. Two blue and one black. All have socks on them which are getting ready to be replaced. That is enough to protect one side of my boat. If you dont have enough to protect the other side, you dont get to tie off...
Old 08-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Registered

4 Big B 10x26 with fender covers.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
three. Two blue and one black. All have socks on them which are getting ready to be replaced. That is enough to protect one side of my boat. If you dont have enough to protect the other side, you dont get to tie off...
Ditto, even down to the socks needing replacement!
(except mine are all the same color)

If I ever need two more I'll have my wife sit on the gunnel and dangle her legs over the side.

RR
Old 08-08-2016, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I normally just keep two on the boat (she's only 24')--have more at home if needed for special occasions. Definitely a fan of the ones that are inflation-adjustable.

FWIW, I don't use fender covers and I'm not sure I would unless maybe I had a yacht that lived in the water with fenders deployed in the slip, just for the UV protection. For a few reasons. First, most covers I've seen could actually hold some grit and act as sandpaper. Seems less likely that grit gets on the smooth naked fenders and if it does, I think I'm far more likely to notice. Second, covers get wet and need to dry out, and can mildew. Third, even though they feel soft to the touch, I *think* some of the actual materials for fender covers are actually pretty hard at a micro level. I think they'd haver a better chance to abrade the paint more than the soft vinyl of a naked fender. To me, they're an added cost with potential net negatives. I don't know for sure, but that's my thinking. Now, if they were in use 99.9% of the time on a yacht in a slip, with really big vinyl fenders running $100+ each, I suppose the UV protection might be significant.

I know some folks use covers because they're slicker, where the soft vinyl can "grab" the surface more. Most of us have seen fenders get pinched and pulled really badly, with that grippy surface pulled hard on the gelcoat or paint. Fenders slide more easily over the surface with covers when things are shifting and pulling. My approach for years has been to hang fenders with shock cord. Works like magic. All that horrible stretching and pulling against the paint or gel completely vanishes. The shock cord just stretches, instead of the fender getting radically pulled/twisted/stretched by a taut line. Much less force on the finish I think.

The other thing I see people liking about covers is they're washable, and don't show marks and such like vinyl. So, they normally look very clean where a lot of vinyl fenders look dingy in a hurry. I've found when a wipedown with water fails, a light hit with some Goo-Gone here and there keeps the vinyl decent. Not perfect, but they stay near-new looking from a couple feet away.

Sounds like most people here who use covers probably keep them pristine, so it may not matter. But I recommend that everyone should try the shock-cord thing. You can get it up to 3/8" at least, and worst-case, doubled-up it'll hang almost any fender for boats up to 40'.

Like I said, FWIW

Mike

Last edited by Ghost24; 08-08-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost24
FWIW, I don't use fender covers
I don't either and never noticed any damage to my boat or a boat I am rafted too. But, what do I know.....I also wear shoes on my boat if I feel like it!
Old 08-09-2016, 07:19 AM
Registered

The big difference I've noticed with the covers it the protection to the fenders. Here in Pittsburgh there are concrete walls for us to tie up to and they will chew up the fenders. Did not use covers with my last boat and those fenders got scratched up pretty good. The fenders on this boat came with it. The covers are getting chewed up but the fenders are still in good shape. No noticeable difference in the gel on either boat from using or not using the fencer covers. I have also heard people say the covers will hold dirt and grit which will scratch up the gelcoat.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
The big difference I've noticed with the covers it the protection to the fenders. Here in Pittsburgh there are concrete walls for us to tie up to and they will chew up the fenders. Did not use covers with my last boat and those fenders got scratched up pretty good. The fenders on this boat came with it. The covers are getting chewed up but the fenders are still in good shape. No noticeable difference in the gel on either boat from using or not using the fencer covers. I have also heard people say the covers will hold dirt and grit which will scratch up the gelcoat.
Good point, I hadn't thought about the fenders getting torn up by rough surfaces like concrete. Hanging with shock cord will help a lot with that, but I could see where over time they might still get scuffed up without covers.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I have 8 of these on every boat. The same size is about $100/ each at West Marine. Have had good luck with these and cant beat the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...=marine+fender
Old 08-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Registered

2 balls, I think fenders are lame. Far more protection using a 12" and 15" balls. Much more squish when you need it. Covers = dirt in my experience. Fender is great when you need to defend against a specific post/beam etc.

I'd rather not need any and be running

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.