Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Chicago Air Show (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/340321-chicago-air-show.html)

arcDayton 08-15-2016 08:26 AM

Chicago Air Show

This will be my first time to Chicago by boat. Planning to stay at diversey harbor on the boat.

I will be getting there Thursday afternoon, any recommendations on things to do or places to go/eat on Friday? Anything I need to know about the event?

Thanks!

Wally 08-15-2016 03:20 PM

If your staying at Diversey then you can walk across the street into the park to a place called The North Pond for some kinda upscale food place....
Or just walk West on Diversey and you have 4 blocks worth of places to explore and eat at all the way down to Clark street.
For breakfast you have The Yolk about two blocks down...there's Duffy's tavern/grill also right there...its a safe area so not much to worry about but just like any area just be aware of your surroundings and don't stay out silly late and be walking home alone at 3am :D

As for the show...get your spot early!! we showed up to launch at diversey one year at 7am....we were the last ones allowed into the parking lot as they were all ready full!!! The north end of the boat free zone is usually right at Diversey and if you go straight out and anchor a little shy of the corner point then you will most likely have most of the planes flying right over your head! Its both awesome and kinda scary to have the jets low enough to see inside the cockpit of the plane when the do low pass flyovers! :D

arcDayton 08-16-2016 03:47 PM

Thanks Wally. Weather isn't looking so great...

waycool marine 08-16-2016 09:10 PM

hopefully better than last year .

Wally 08-17-2016 09:46 AM

weather around here changes minute by minute! If the weathers not looking good by Thursday night i would try and get out there on Friday morning and watch the practice runs....its basicly the entire show minus the crowds! Looking at one of my weather apps it looks like Sat may be a wash as of right now but Sunday is looking up...probably be a low ceiling show...

ICDEDPPL 08-17-2016 02:26 PM

Weather for the weekend is not looking good.
I`ve gone a few times and it`s not worth the trip IMOP especially if you`re going to be bobbing up and down like a cork when the winds blow out of the north, which I assume they will be if there`s a cool down coming.

arcDayton 08-17-2016 05:56 PM

I'll be arriving about noon tomorrow, so maybe I'll get lucky and get a day and a half of decent boating.

ICDEDPPL 08-18-2016 08:37 AM

Look for a Red/White Cig and a Fountain tomorrow, launching at 31st.

:boat:

arcDayton 08-18-2016 08:45 AM

I'm in a 26 outlaw with a red hull