Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT: Don't be scared it's just a bear market!!! >

OT: Don't be scared it's just a bear market!!!

Notices

OT: Don't be scared it's just a bear market!!!

Old 10-01-2002, 12:03 PM
Uncle Toys

Default OT: Don't be scared it's just a bear market!!!

Man, I got to tell you, there sure is a ton of fear in the stock market. It is non-stop in the press, the phone calls, and especially the youngins in the office. Now I understand fear. Anytime your life savings takes a one third haircut in a quarter, your going to be afraid. But from a behavioral perspective, that has to be a sign we are getting close to the end.

The market as measured by the S&P500 is down around 50% from its high back in early 2000. Two and a half years and 50% easily qualify this bear as one of the bad ones of the previous 100 years or so. From a historical perspective, it’s doesn’t get much worse than this.

Yes, I know about the 1929-32 market. There are tons of reasons why this wont get that bad - but still, there are no guarantees.

Through out history, sound investment principles produce sound results. Going under that assumption – you got to believe its one of the better times in history to be buying common stocks (if you’re a long term investor, don’t put all your eggs in one basket, caveat, caveat, etc.)

p.s. Thanks for the use of your signature MIKEHTMSR24

Old 10-01-2002, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the wisdom oh TOGA one.

Douggie
Old 10-01-2002, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 35 years old and man, I gotta tell you, watching my 401k take a dump sucks.
Every year we get the option to change our contribution percentage (I contribute the maximum 15%)...and I was really tempted to change it to 0% and wait for the market to bounce back....
BUT...I figure I'm just buying up stocks at a low rate now and someday when it all turns back around I'll be sitting pretty.

Or I'll be a homeless beggar on the street corner...
Old 10-01-2002, 12:34 PM
Uncle Toys

Originally posted by G-Force

BUT...I figure I'm just buying up stocks at a low rate now and someday when it all turns back around I'll be sitting pretty.
dude, thats as profound as it gets!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2002, 12:46 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy Land it seems to be the only stable investment. I got killed. Now it is the waiting game. I am younger then most of you guys on the board so I can recover I hope. It is a roller coaster now. Long term we will all be ok. The days of making a quick buck are LONG GONE.

Jon