Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Here we go AGAIN.......OPINIONS PLEASE......24ft Excalibur find (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/340470-here-we-go-again-opinions-please-24ft-excalibur-find.html)

jdinvt 08-19-2016 09:53 AM

Here we go AGAIN.......OPINIONS PLEASE......24ft Excalibur find

I was out for a ride the other day and came across this old Excalibur just sitting there by this barn. Its definetly a project boat BUT would like to pick it up, but not as my family overnighter, but for a poker run or just to have a fast boat to have fun with. I took some pics of it and I DO realize that it will possibly need stringer work and floors of coarse. To ME, it looks like it was an ex race boat as you can see in the pic where you would enter into the cuddy, its blocked of with fiberglassed wood just inside the entry way and I dont really know what up further. I have read some post on here about how the Excalibur is such an awsome boat, in fact someone on here had bought one and it had ABSOLUTLY NOTHING in it, he filled holes, painted the bottom ect, ect. So judging by the pics I posted, does anyone on here feel that this would be a boat worth getting to start as a project? I also posted a vid that the guy sent me of a trailer I could have for $400 to put the boat on. He wants $300 for the boat but im not going to offer him that because he REALLY wants it out of their so I was thinking maybe offering him $150 - $200 tops and if the trailer is any good, I can see its galvenized by the crappy vid, maybe offer him $500 for both? Not sure, thats why im asking the professionals on here, lol.

Here is my link to the pics I have on photobucket, PLEASE let me know what you all think. Thanks.
http://s216.photobucket.com/user/jdi...src=wap&page=1

noli 08-19-2016 10:14 AM

follow your gut feeling....buy it!

you will get lots of help here as far as when it's time for either you to do the work or to pay someone.

Start a build thread....will be a cool journey!

jdinvt 08-19-2016 10:17 AM

Is it a boat worth getting because it will need stringers judging by the pic as you can see. I have just heard great things about these boats..

Speedracer29 08-19-2016 10:17 AM

I didn't even have to look at the pictures or the price.... Buy it. It's a cheap Excalibur, you want a project boat. No further discussion needed here, folks. I'll wait here for you to go get it and start a long term build thread in the Excalibur section.

Speedracer29 08-19-2016 10:23 AM

So.... It's been 5 minutes. Did you close on this thing yet or what?

Speedracer29 08-19-2016 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by jdinvt (Post 4472848)
Is it a boat worth getting because it will need stringers judging by the pic as you can see. I have just heard great things about these boats..

Putting stringers into an old Magnum/Pantera/Excalibur is way more better than putting stringers into an old Baja.
Check the first 3 of the HIN for the letters NAP/ Excalibur Marine Corp.

phragle 08-19-2016 10:36 AM

Much better choice. a 454 mag will have you in the 60's, fast enough to have fun but slow enough you shouldnt tear things up.

jdinvt 08-19-2016 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Speedracer29 (Post 4472853)
So.... It's been 5 minutes. Did you close on this thing yet or what?

Actually I did get back to him, im just waiting to hear back now. Asked him what his bottom dollar would be because its a 4hr drive for me just one way. I will keep you all posted.

jdinvt 08-19-2016 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 4472859)
Much better choice. a 454 mag will have you in the 60's, fast enough to have fun but slow enough you shouldnt tear things up.

Thats it....... I want FASTER, FASTER, LOL. What about a 454 supercharged or a stock 502?

Speedracer29 08-19-2016 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by jdinvt (Post 4472863)
Thats it....... I want FASTER, FASTER, LOL. What about a 454 supercharged or a stock 502?

Don't even worry about engines and drives yet. Get it home, check it over. Cut the floor up, replace the stringers, the transom, check the tank, glass everything back together. Then roll it over and blueprint the bottom. That should keep you busy until spring, then you can start worrying about power, drive, tabs, rigging, gauges, paint, upholstery, and the expensive parts.