Notices

got me a new boat

Old 09-28-2002, 11:02 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
Thumbs up got me a new boat

yup . . got rid of the old daycruiser an picked up a new boat ( well new ta me anyway ) picked up an 86 chris craft 260 scorpion with twin small blocks . its a one owner boat with 400 hours on it and is all original. mechanically and structurally its perfect but it is badly faded and needs some cockpit upolstery ( fortunatly i know someone that can take care of that ) was able to get it for 6K. seemed like a decent deal.

anyway, this is my first boat with twins an im just curious about boathandling around the docks. i know the basics of spliting shifts with the drives straight but what effect does it have with the drives turned all the way to one side or the other when you split them. i know its mostly a learn as you go process with any new boat but just looking for some info on what to expect. or any guidance in my transition to twins. thanks all.

by the way, anybody have any opinions on the 260 chris scorpion . . .god or bad . . .i can take it . . . . thanks again
Old 09-28-2002, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

Got any pics?? Isn't a 260 scorpion a day cruiser too? I have a 86 210 scorpion and love it.....I have had to do some fiberglass work where a couple of spots have just popped out. I have heard that it was either the scorpion or the stinger I don't know which, has stringer problems. I don't think that's my problem.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:29 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

no pics yet . .but soon . . i had heard of stringer probs on a few of these so i looked at that stuff real close. the bilge is almost as original. which suprised me for a boat this old. the owner had taken good care of it . also heard of a few fuel tank probs but this one seems OK for now. not sure if this is called a daycruiser or not. looks like a cross between an offshore an a sportcruiser kinda thing. lotsa room on this boat. also alot of freeboard too which will be nice in lake erie .
Old 09-28-2002, 12:48 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

well . . .this isnt it . . but it looks juist like it
Attached Thumbnails got me a new boat-copy-stinger.jpg  
Old 09-28-2002, 12:56 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

an mine is grey and red
Attached Thumbnails got me a new boat-copy-stinger2.jpg  
Old 09-28-2002, 01:27 PM
Registered

Mine is red and gray too. That is not a day cruiser. I'd like to find one of those babies. Here are the kind i thought you were talking about.

Last edited by tanned fat looks better; 09-28-2002 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-28-2002, 02:54 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Just remember that your alphas probably don't counter-rotate like a bravo application would.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new ride !

As for docking with twins ,,,,, Just forward and back and use the wheel like you did with the single engine . Doing one forward and one back dosent' do much for you on that type of boat . The drives are too close together . It works great on a big yatch or sprt fish where the props are 8' apart or more . Dock it just like you did the single engine boat . YOu may only need to use 1 engine though . 2 may move it too fast for you . You'll get it ! Good luck with it ! Lets see some shots after you find a good painter !!
Old 09-28-2002, 04:16 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave coool deal I know you have been looking for a while. I can not waite to see what you do with the paint Driving with twins is like with a single only a lot more flexability. Just go slow and you will be fine. You can really make the boat so some cool things once you learn what to do. I always am amazed at how guys that have been driving twins for a long time can make their boats move.

Jon
Old 09-28-2002, 04:30 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

good point foul. i'm asuming they dont make a left hand alpha (or do they ?)

yea boot . . funny thing is , i might just go all white with it. havent thought of any graphics yet. heck i dont make anything working on my stuff. . . .uh-course ya never know . . it may be nice to have a floating buisness card though. . . .hmmmmmmm . . .

tanned fat, i have seen the scorps that look like that . not sure why CC did that with the same names an all. i think mine says 260 stinger on it too. this is the old (west coast) daycruiser i just sold. fun boat but i really had to pick my days on the lake. last time i blew the windshield out . that was a week before i sold it.
Attached Thumbnails got me a new boat-copy-mymirage.jpg  

Quick Reply: got me a new boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.