Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Great day on the water yesterday (Mon.) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/34051-great-day-water-yesterday-mon.html)

26scarab 10-01-2002 12:39 PM

Great day on the water yesterday (Mon.)

Blew out of work early yesterday, it was sunny and 80 something out.
My buddy and I spent a few hours just racing boats between Metro and Jefferson Beach.
We werent the only ones thinking the same way. We saw a 30 something Ocean Express (Polo 2) doing solo laps a few hundred feet offshore @ WOT. What a cool roostertail!
Now I know I don't have the fastest boat but in the two years that I've had it together I haven't lost to any single engine boat (23-28) that I've raced. I know there are faster I just haven't raced them. WELL I come up on a 25 Checkmate with a huge scum line across the bottom well I get next to him and actually let him get a boat or so ahead and then I planned on reeling him in...well much to my surprise I didn't reel him in. I couldn't pull on him at all ! And the boat was quiet. It was a definite sleeper !
Then to top off the night we ended up at Jack's for a $10 20oz Porterhouse steak dinner .
Not too bad of a day ,especially for a Monday !

Also saw a 41 Apache,(I was drooling all over it at Jack's) It didn't have a name , just a multi colored indian head with the "feathers" flowing towards the back of the boat.

Ratchet 10-01-2002 12:47 PM

I agree

I agree, Jacks has a good Monday night steak dinner special ($10). I think our strategy of "stayin on the dock and checkin out the boats" while we were waiting on the table, was most cost effective.

We should try to get out there a few more times before the season ends :(

Anyone else in ??????

RJ

Milord 10-01-2002 12:58 PM

Sounds like you had fun Chuck. I wanted to go out last night, just didn't make it. Was still recovering from the weekend and nobody else could go out with me. I'm not a big fan of boating alone.

26scarab 10-01-2002 01:17 PM

James,
I would have been out at 1:00 but couldn't find anyone to go with until 5:00.
I guess I should have called you ,but it was spur of the moment.

Advantage_Rob 10-01-2002 01:20 PM

Hey chuck, glad to see you were out having fun. I remember seeing that polo crew 2 ocean express in the early 90's when my dad had his 30' scarab. We were gased up at J beach, and were running along the shore between there and 11 mile and that boat passed us by hard. Until then I thought his boat was fast, then I saw it a few weeks later docked at on of the restaraunts, and checked it out, and talked to the guy for a few. I bought my cat that summer without ever going for a ride on one before, just my test ride. I haven't seen PC2 since. Doug and a few others went to Pat obriens (I think) last night. They do a crableg special on mondays, he said it was great, and cheap too. I gotta check that out one of these mondays.

BoatChic 10-01-2002 01:22 PM

Chuck, could'a called me, i was jonesing for a cruz yesterday, had the convertable top down and all... i would'a found a way outta here :rolleyes: :p

26scarab 10-01-2002 01:31 PM

Rob,
I will have to check out the Crab legs at Pat's !
Kinda like those better than steak sometimes.

Boatchic,
I did think of you but didn't have a way to get ahold of you when I was home (my computer is dead), I haven't been able to check my emails since last Friday.
I did pick one up today so I will be home tonight hooking it up !

Ratchet 10-01-2002 02:29 PM

GO OUT

Chucky,

Walk to the window !!!

You'd rather be hookin up a computer than tryin to break the boat ?

And I thought I was sick ? !

Later !

boot 10-01-2002 02:38 PM

Sounds like fun ! Wish I could say the same . I finaly got out for a test run and found some bugs to fix. May need new exhaust and some other stuff . MAy be put up for the winter now ........:(

Bayley 10-01-2002 03:12 PM

DAMNIT, DAMNIT, DAMNIT, DAMNIT!!!

There I was, 10:30 AM, beautiful morning, boss out sick, no work to do... "Hmmm, maybe I should take the boat out. Naaah, there won't be anyone else out there."

...stupid, stupid, stupid!

At the Coastal Marine Poker Run this past summer, there was a 25 (or whatever) Checkmate that had a nice 540 ci home grown motor in it. It was too rough for him to run flat out, so I never got to see its true potential, but he claimed low 80's. He was pretty loud though, and clean (i.e. no scum line) so I doubt it was the same guy. Does this mean it's blower time? :D

-Bayley