I pledge to not drink while operating a boat >

I pledge to not drink while operating a boat

Notices

I pledge to not drink while operating a boat

Old 08-31-2016, 02:20 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

This is easy for me to pledge since i don't drink anyway....i have tasted various alcoholic drinks over the years but never liked any of them...don't understand how people drink the stuff honestly buy hey to each his own.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-31-2016, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

I'll take a less pious position and step on the grenade. I fully believed boat and beers went together like peas and carrots. In fact, I couldn't be on a boat without popping a beer. It was sacrilegious. And, God forgive, I have operated many and many a boat rather shiat-faced. (Funny thing about alcohol, ya never think your TOO shiat-faced) I was the quintessential go-fast party boater, along with just about everyone else I hung out with! Woo-hoo!

Then a strange thing happened. I had kids. I had kids to worry about when I boated. I had kids I had to worry about around other boaters. I had kids I had to worry about looking up to me as an example. I had kids.... and that probably saved my life. I'll still drink A beer if we're anchored for awhile, and definitively when we're trailered and back at the hacienda, but those days are gone for me. Looking back, I think what an idiot I was, but, good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

Glad I'm still here to post this.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I will not be PC. I enjoy beer and boating. Shooters on the weekends wouldn't be the same.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I have reflexes like Dr. Johnny Fever.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree 100 percent. Never took it serious though until my wife and I added our kids to the mix. Now I dont even take alcohol on the boat, not that is not welcome, I stick to water and tea.....Great post!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well like others have said here its easy for me , because I'm not really much of a drinker. I don't really enjoy it much . And ya the kids really changed things for me too. I have a great time without needing to be under the influence .I have done plenty of stupid stuff that will certainly get you in trouble or dead, but kids sorted me right out. I'm not going stand on a soap box and preach to others tho .
Old 08-31-2016, 05:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, no posts like 'it's too hard to drink in 3'ers and not spill it all over yourself?" This forum is slackin'

Buy a 37 Outerlimits. The boat has no cupholders.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Agree with Eric 100%. Many, many years ago I myself was involved in an mishap, so to speak. Had a two week old Sea Ray Sundancer, my pride and joy at that time in my life, that I ran smack into an island late at night. This island was 1/2 a mile wide and 2-3 miles long, still I managed to hit it. Long story short, too long at a waterfront bar, never should have left. Ten foot tall and bullet proof mentality, simply focking stupid. A bunch of friends on the boat and all came out fine. Boat had damage that came close to what I had paid for it. In some thirty plus years I have not allowed myself so much as one single drink while boating, I have had my share on the dock at the end of the day, never on the boat. I agree with Eric here, if you love the boating then save the drinking for the dock. So often many rationalize a beer or two is not a problem, with this chit we run you need to be on the top of your game all the time, anything can happen any time, why would anyone want to be somewhat off their best when that time comes that demands you be 100% your best.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 08-31-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Unless you've flown an airplane you don't know how close to flying it is operating some of these boats. Pilots don't drink prior to and during flight.(unless they're fools.)
Old 08-31-2016, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The only problem in setting a boat up for maximum speed is it becomes a boat that ONLY an experienced operator can drive. If I had a drink or two and got behind the controls of this boat I would die without a doubt.
Went for a 90+ MPH boat ride years ago at 3 AM by moonlight on Hardy pond WAY up river and I had been drinking since about 9 PM. Needless to say it was real fun until a cloud went in front of the moon at 90 + MPH. Couldn't see my hand in front of my face. The dumb thing is I would do it again today but SOBER. Woke up every camper for 3 miles up and down the river. Really pissed off Mr. Parker RIP.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558941[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails I pledge to not drink while operating a boat-cvx-18.jpg  

Last edited by Tinkerer; 08-31-2016 at 08:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.