Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Selling A boat these days (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/341441-selling-boat-these-days.html)

soinc 09-23-2016 09:14 AM

Selling A boat these days

Hey guys & Gals

Are there any new concerns these days when selling a boat?

I have a gentleman that is buying My boat
But its been 11 years since I sold my last one.
things have changed, any scams I need to be Wary of?
guy wants to pay Cash, this concerns me a bit as its a fairly large sum.

Soinc

class6 09-23-2016 09:22 AM

Meet him at your bank and let them handle it. Unless you want to keep it under the mattress

soinc 09-23-2016 09:33 AM

class6

That's my concern as my bank said they do not have the ability to detect counterfeit USD bills(if he bings all cash).

Second they guy wanted to have his buddy "Gordon" pay me X (he apparently owes him some cash on some part outs, one being the 33 fountain with 4's yes they are 4's not 5's)
and he's paying his end cash.
Don't really give a crap as long as it clears who paid what.
bad enough I'm giving this thing away, don't need a scam.

tommymonza 09-23-2016 09:42 AM

Buy a counterfeit bill detection pen. But I think the washed bills can still pass the pen test.

Dave M 09-23-2016 10:27 AM

Wire transfer.

class6 09-23-2016 10:37 AM

There's more wire transfer scams then anything. It's crazy

chewymalone 09-23-2016 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by soinc (Post 4484352)
class6

That's my concern as my bank said they do not have the ability to detect counterfeit USD bills(if he bings all cash).

Second they guy wanted to have his buddy "Gordon" pay me X (he apparently owes him some cash on some part outs, one being the 33 fountain with 4's yes they are 4's not 5's)

So why doesn't the buddy "Gordon" pay him and then he pays you? He's either shady or an idiot (or both). Safest is wire transfer or certified bank check that your bank can verify before the transfer is final. If he has a bank account, he can easily do either. If he has no bank account, then run because he can't afford a boat.

class6 09-23-2016 10:41 AM

Mention you want to meet at the bank. See if he drops the deal. If he doesn't. Just take the cash

benjen 09-23-2016 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by soinc (Post 4484352)
class6

Your kidding right? Your bank can't tell if a bill is counterfeit? Sounds a bit bizarre. That being said than who cares. If your uneasy bring them a little at a time. If they can't detect counterfeit than how does it get back to you........just sayin'. Not trying to be a wise guy.

soinc 09-23-2016 11:34 AM

To put it short.
I didn't want to get into a bad check scam, or wire scam. the guy is coming 12 hours to buy the boat, wants it to go smoothly look, ride, than pull home.
Cash is the most counterfeited monetary item.

No I'm not kidding how many people do you know that can ACTULY walk up and drop a duffle bag full of "CASH" on your table these days?
Then ask how many Canadian banks you think can deal with a duffle bag of Cash let alone know if its fake.
That's why I'm asking.

He has no issue with meeting at the bank.