Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Jose Fernandez RIP.  What the heck happened? >

Jose Fernandez RIP. What the heck happened?

Notices

Jose Fernandez RIP. What the heck happened?

Old 09-25-2016, 03:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts

Government Cut is a bear to navigate at ANY time, day or night, fair or inclement weather. For those of you that have not been through there, trust me in that it can get the best of even the most experienced captains. It looks like they just clipped the last hundred feet or two of the jetty; a navigational error, perhaps compounded by other factors. (They could have even been avoiding something or someone as well.)

May he and his friends RIP.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-25-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

His loss and also those with him on the boat is terrible. All of them will be missed by family friends and sports fans eveywhere. Such a shame. One question and this is to forum users....how many of us boat at night and have any of us taken any form of night awareness training? Boating after sunset isnt hard, but should never been taken lightly. This accident is a mess and I am sorry for the needless loss of life. Amen.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

My prayers to all the families, thing like this can happen very quickly. Would that be visible on a chart plotter?
Old 09-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thoughts and prayers to the family and the Marlins. If you guys saw the Marlins press conference, you could see how much he meant to that team. Sad deal for sure, he had a great story and a very bright future for sure. RIP Jose.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

I watched the CG press conference on Sunday morning and they mentioned the boat owner (on board) had been stopped numerous timeS for safety inspections and knew the area VERY well due to their continual contact with him. It'll be interesting to see what the toxicology reports say.

I believe the saddest part of it all is Jose's GF found out 4 days ago they're pregnant. Jose floated to the US from Cuba on a raft as a young teen and saved his mother from drowning during the trek. To see him die in a boating accident after all of his success as an immigrant (American citizen now) is ironically tragic. RIP Jose and friends.

I hope this incident speeds up the process of requiring FL boaters, to at a minimum sit through the CG Aux. intro to boating class. Right now there is a Dob cutoff and if you're over it zilch is required to operate in FL waters. IMO, a very dangerous situation for the inexperienced boater as well as those boating around them.

Last edited by Tractionless; 09-26-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 2,802 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Government Cut is a bear to navigate at ANY time, day or night, fair or inclement weather. For those of you that have not been through there, trust me in that it can get the best of even the most experienced captains. It looks like they just clipped the last hundred feet or two of the jetty; a navigational error, perhaps compounded by other factors. (They could have even been avoiding something or someone as well.)

May he and his friends RIP.
It always surprised me that you're allowed to stay on plan into the harbor jetty opening. Most harbors in California you have to come off plane inside the jetty.

Sad deal. RIP
Old 09-26-2016, 01:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by thisistank
It always surprised me that you're allowed to stay on plan into the harbor jetty opening. Most harbors in California you have to come off plane inside the jetty.

Sad deal. RIP
With the way the tides roll in and out, and winds blowing in or out, that particular cut, and others on the East Coast of Florida are really, REALLY nasty.
Years ago, right there IN that cut, I literally watched Titos stand the OSO Gladiator STRAIGHT UP so I could read the GMC logo on the bow, when Gary Sanchez and I were following him in the LipShip F2-38 Top Gun. We were only going 20mph or so in HUGE swells. There is no way you could navigate that cut at idle speeds.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 2,802 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
With the way the tides roll in and out, and winds blowing in or out, that particular cut, and others on the East Coast of Florida are really, REALLY nasty.
Years ago, right there IN that cut, I literally watched Titos stand the OSO Gladiator STRAIGHT UP so I could read the GMC logo on the bow, when Gary Sanchez and I were following him in the LipShip F2-38 Top Gun. We were only going 20mph or so in HUGE swells. There is no way you could navigate that cut at idle speeds.
Someone screwed their back up on that launch as I recall. I know the cut gets nasty. Sketchy big trying to get in and out.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:20 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by thisistank
Someone screwed their back up on that launch as I recall. I know the cut gets nasty. Sketchy big trying to get in and out.
TItos was the only one in the boat at that moment, but I do remember what you mention did happen at one time as well.
Such is the peril potential with a sit down boat.

Titos landed that thing like a jet ski coming off ocean swells, and was completely out of our view due to swells at several points. That was exactly the stretch when the CD player fell in the dash on the F2, and we only could listen to that goofy mix-tape CD for the whole weekend, as we couldn't even shut it off. It was like Groundhog Day.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
I watched the CG press conference on Sunday morning and they mentioned the boat owner (on board) had been stopped numerous timeS for safety inspections and knew the area VERY well due to their continual contact with him. It'll be interesting to see what the toxicology reports say.

I believe the saddest part of it all is Jose's GF found out 4 days ago they're pregnant. Jose floated to the US from Cuba on a raft as a young teen and saved his mother from drowning during the trek. To see him die in a boating accident after all of his success as an immigrant (American citizen now) is ironically tragic. RIP Jose and friends.

I hope this incident speeds up the process of requiring FL boaters, to at a minimum sit through the CG Aux. intro to boating class. Right now there is a Dob cutoff and if you're over it zilch is required to operate in FL waters. IMO, a very dangerous situation for the inexperienced boater as well as those boating around them.

they said there was no booze on board the boat and they don't suspect it had any involvement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.