Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Jose Fernandez RIP.  What the heck happened? >

Jose Fernandez RIP. What the heck happened?

Notices

Jose Fernandez RIP. What the heck happened?

Old 09-27-2016, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
they said there was no booze on board the boat and they don't suspect it had any involvement.
They were spotted leaving a slip at a restaurant/bar (that Jose frequented) before the crash. Booze doesn't have to be found at the scene to be involved. Again not making a determination, just wait for the test results. In any event read the above article; Jose was emotional from a fight with his GF and wanted to go blow off some steam. Bad decision in any vehicle. I feel for the GF as I'm sure she is feeling a lot of blame.

Last edited by Tractionless; 09-27-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sprink58
For everyone boating in South Florida...there is a lesson to be learned here. The Government Cut/Miami Harbor entrance jetty's are charted and marked with day and night markers. However...without local knowledge or inattention...they are hard to see at night.

Apparently Jose Fernandez...may he and the others involved Rest in Peace...prayers to the families...was killed when his 32' Sea Vee Center Console hit the jetty at a high rate of speed approximately 3 AM today.

To all my South Florida Boating Brothers out there...make sure you give these jetty's a wide berth...especially at night. They project out into the ocean nearly a mile from the mouth of the inlet at the southernmost tip of Miami Beach.

https://twitter.com/lizroldancbs4/st...887489/photo/1

Be careful out there guys...it only takes a second to change things forever.
Per the google maps distance calculator, it looks like each jetty extends about .38 miles into the ocean. Not nearly a mile, but still a huge jetty.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

Approaching any jetty or pier head from a perpendicular heading or from a close proximity to shore at night is a bad idea for even the most experienced boater .

Last edited by tommymonza; 09-28-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to be clear, the boat collided with the north side of the northern Jetty. So while a lot of these inlets can be very gnarly (Hillsboro I think is the worst), that was not a causitive factor in this case, he wasn't in the inlet, he was offshore traveling southbound towards the jetty.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rely on my plotter at night for this exact reason. It's pretty clear where the jetty is if they'd been watching the plotter. RIP.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah with steps bad idea
Old 09-27-2016, 01:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
They were spotted leaving a slip at a restaurant/bar (that Jose frequented) before the crash. Booze doesn't have to be found at the scene to be involved. Again not making a determination, just wait for the test results. In any event read the above article; Jose was emotional from a fight with his GF and wanted to go blow off some steam. Bad decision in any vehicle. I feel for the GF as I'm sure she is feeling a lot of blame.
IF there WERE signs of alcohol around the site of this crash, I wonder if anyone was spotted driving around the scene picking up bottle like happened at another incident this summer.

It was supposedly a really high tide, around the time of the accident. And the moon was not big/bright that night either. All things that could have contributed to not seeing the jetty clearly.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
That is cause is one of the people lived above that same restaurant/ bar.

At 12:13 a.m., the texting stopped, and Bernal said he started to track the boat, nervous the dot would stop moving. Around 2 a.m., it did, at American Social Restaurant and Bar, a gastropub along the Miami River. Above the restaurant is the Neo Vertika condominium building, where 27-year-old Emilio Macias, a friend of Rivero’s who never had met Fernandez, lived. Bernal checked in with Rivero. They were docking the boat, waiting for Macias. Rivero said everything was cool. Around 3 a.m

I am just saying that people are really fast to judge. Any time a boat crashes it is always booze before anything at all regardless of what it is said or found.....pretty much saying people who wreck boats are guilty of BUI until proven other wise.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Why do people drive their boats fast at night? Even completely sober? Jose was on top of the world and now he is dead along with two friends... RIP
Old 09-28-2016, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
That is cause is one of the people lived above that same restaurant/ bar.

I am just saying that people are really fast to judge. Any time a boat crashes it is always booze before anything at all regardless of what it is said or found.....pretty much saying people who wreck boats are guilty of BUI until proven other wise.
So no one drinks in their home before heading out either? You stated earlier in the thread no signs of booze were ground on the boat, assimilating it wasn't a potential cause; however, it's quite consumption can happen prior to getting underway. No one is judging, just saying wait for the toxicology report to come back. I hope to hell they were all clean. If not many will tarnish their legacy, which will be very sad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.