Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wanna read something really whacked? >

Wanna read something really whacked?

Notices

Wanna read something really whacked?

Old 10-03-2002, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Thats just weird. I guess he decided not to finish his scam and go through with it.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:40 PM
Luke_Chinewalker

maybe it was the plastic spread out on the floor with the chair in the middle that freaked him out a little

Old 10-03-2002, 01:36 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is nucking futz!!!

i can't believe he actually drove back! You are damn lucky to get your boat back!
Old 10-03-2002, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey do you think the Ford dealship has caught on.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by puder
that is nucking futz!!!

Its the craziest story I have heard. Truth can and usually is in the boat world stranger than fiction.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:00 PM
Registered

WOW, Your lucky it came back!! My friend and I had bought 2 sea-doo's way back in 93, we both put them for sale at the same time, I sold mine, and I got another call so I told him to call my friend, as he had the same one, and I told him it was in great shape, ect... He caled him, looked at it, agreed on a price, and said he was going to go to the bank, and get a cashiers check, and he would be back later that afternoon. He came back with the check, and they went to my friends bank where the lien was and did the exchange, and the guy left with the ski. About a month later the bank called him and said that the cashier's check was counterfit, and he was still liable for the $5000 owed. Police got involved, and fbi as counterfit cashier checks are a federal offense. I guess the guy had made these checks and was going all over the country buying stuff like this, and had spent like $60,000 in less than two weeks on this stuff, then he was selling it really cheap to people to get cash. His ski was sold the next day for $2000, and the guy that bought it perfectly legal for a good deal was called down and the police explained what had happened to the guy. Which it wasn't his fault, and he got to keep the ski for the $2000 he paid the scam artist guy. My friend had to pay the bank the $4900 still, plus intrest. I really am very picky about selling stuff since then. I want cash, or I must go to the bank with the buyer and see the cashiers check made out. with the guy. It's a scary world out there. Too many F*ckheads out there! Glad mine was sold, or that would have been me.
That guy did get caught, and went to jail for a very, very long time, there was like 40 counts of felony fraud, and each one had a pretty big minimal sentance, but ofcourse no money was recovered.

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 10-03-2002 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:28 PM
Registered

I sold a boat around a year ago and delivered the boat to the buyer at his finance company to complete the paperwork. The finance company gave me a check from a "trust" account and assured me it was the same as a cashiers check. I called the bank that the check was drawn from to verify funds and it was OK, so I let the buyer take my boat and went to my bank to deposit the check. When I got to my back, they put a 10 day hold on the check and told me that it was essentially just a personal check from the finance company, definitely not even close to the same as a cashiers check..Lucky for me the check cleared and I didn't have any problems, but it was an uncomfortable 10 days for me. I don't know what I'll do next time when I sell..

Glad to hear that you got your boat back.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah guys, this was on wacky chain of events!

I tried again today to reach this guy and his cell phone is now out of service!

I can`t believe how lucky I was

Kurt.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:07 PM
Registered

WOW! I use to accept personal checks for things I sold....not anymore!!!

Thanks for sharing your stories!
Old 10-03-2002, 06:52 PM
Apache22

You CAN cancell, stop payment, bank checks and Cashiers checks, if the check hasn't cleared the bank it was issued from

Quick Reply: Wanna read something really whacked?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.