Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wanna read something really whacked? >

Wanna read something really whacked?

Notices

Wanna read something really whacked?

Old 10-03-2002, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What part of Texas was the guy from? Was he a red head? What were his initials? That's all the questions

Glad you got it back. Bet it was a long 14 hrs before he showed back up.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

He was from Wichita Falls, Texas and his name was Lewis A.

Yes, it was a long 14 hrs. I was ready to take a flight to Texas if he did not come back!

Last edited by Biggus; 10-03-2002 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:19 PM
Registered

Not the guy I know. After I read your story I starting thinking of I guy I knew about 20 years ago. Hell, if you just posted your story someone in Texas would have hunted him down for you.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:04 PM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie
Smile That's Wack!

Man, I can't believe your stressful experience! I too have had a similar transaction.

I sold a 21' sport cuddy (name withheld for security reasons) to a guy that simply claimed he had a line of credit at a bank. The guy seemed nice enough during the viewing of the boat and seemed to share a genuine passion for the sport. Trouble is, it's easy to get caught up by people who are good at what they do best.

As it turned out, the cheque was good for $14,500 CDN. (yeah, I know how little that is in American funds!) but I had to wait a few days to actually KNOW things were OK. Live and learn. I now will only accept cash or certified cheque (through afriend of mine, @ my bank) for my next sale...which happens to be a fully restored 1978 25' Martini/ 7 metre w/ 502 power. May attach pics.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Holy crap! That's pretty messed up!...
Gotta admit though...You're damn lucky to have the boat back in your posession!
Old 10-04-2002, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, today I had stopped into the bank, and the woman who had handled the rubber check for me on Monday had said she called the bank that the account was from. It turnes out that this clown does not even live in Texas, he lives in Indiana! She then asked the manager in that bank if they knew who he was, they said they did. She then asked if they knew where he worked.

This clown is no doctor, he is some dork who works at a RV dealer down the street from the bank! My banker then called his place of work to speak with him and the mgr. of the RV place said he was out of state on a delivery!.....sure explaines the high dollar tow rig!

He must have recieved a call from his boss asking him WTF were you doing in Maine!!!

I CAN`T BELIEVE I GOT MY BOAT BACK

Kurt.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:57 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kurt I am sure that due to the amount of the check that if they track him down he could be in trouble.

Jon
Old 10-04-2002, 09:14 PM
apache77

I have had someone stop payment on a cashiers check and i thought they were as good as cash, guess not.

Old 10-05-2002, 05:08 PM
djm
Registered

I'm going through the counterfeit check thing right now. A person calling himself femi e-mailed me claiming to be a used boat dealer in Africa. We negotiated a price of 34,500. He then tells me that his client in the US owes him 55,300 so I will receive that check from the client and wire the excess to Africa. I smelled a scam from the start but I was still hopeful. I was so psyched when I got the check, it looked legit but of course it was not.

The check came from a John Irvington in Minnesota but the issuing bank was First Citizens in Raleigh, NC. So then I say I'm ready to wire the 20Gs to Nigeria, hoping to get this asspacker's address. I got that and now I'm trying to get his phone number too.What can I do?? Give the info to the FBI or something? Bastards!!!