Georgia DNR Releases Lake Lanier Accident Investigation Report

Notices

Georgia DNR Releases Lake Lanier Accident Investigation Report

Old 10-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
I like how the so called expert has NO knowledge of high performance catamarans.
You don't put trim tabs on a cat. IF you did and had them set to stop bow rise the boat would have stuffed after crossing said wake. Same result - DEATH _
The boat was trimmed properly. The problem was and it keeps happening is with a cat at high speed you can't cross a wake with a rooster tail because the boat will clime the rooster tail causing a blow over. Why do these experienced boat operators keep doing this.
Agree. That report could likely open the manufacturer up to a (BS) lawsuit.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A properly set up cat needs almost NO trim. So trim wasn't a factor like it would be in a V. My boat only needs from 5 to 7 on a cable type indicator ( 5 is neutral )
Old 10-05-2016, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
No, the "Pure Platinum" that is mentioned here, is NOT the boat that was involved in the crash with the helicopter years ago.
The one that was in that accident was repainted, re-themed, and resold (disclosed).

There are two boats that have the "Pure Platinum" designation currently. The one that Bill sold to David (mentioned above); and the one that Bill currently owns. http://www.offshoreonly.com/articles...uthern-comfort
Yes but there was the very 1st one that was involved in the helicopter crash. That boat was fixed repainted and last I saw was out running around in Maryland last I saw and was actually for sale on here not to long ago.

The boat David Southern owns was actually the 2nd PP. the original one is of course no longer called PP.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Yes but there was the very 1st one that was involved in the helicopter crash. That boat was fixed repainted and last I saw was out running around in Maryland last I saw and was actually for sale on here not to long ago.

The boat David Southern owns was actually the 2nd PP. the original one is of course no longer called PP.

That is what I thought...kind of eerie to me..
Old 10-06-2016, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
Just to confirm, same lead boat in Cumberland and Lanier accident?
Same lead boat, different owner.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
I like how the so called expert has NO knowledge of high performance catamarans.
You don't put trim tabs on a cat. IF you did and had them set to stop bow rise the boat would have stuffed after crossing said wake. Same result - DEATH _
The boat was trimmed properly. The problem was and it keeps happening is with a cat at high speed you can't cross a wake with a rooster tail because the boat will clime the rooster tail causing a blow over. Why do these experienced boat operators keep doing this.
1. Some cats have tabs some don't
2. This boat had tabs but were removed
3. They did NOT climb a rooster tail - he crossed a "wake"

Last edited by kilo; 10-06-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Most all of these recent "accidents" in reality come down to a case of look at me! I have the super hot most ever tricked out boat on the planet, I have more money in power than you will make in a lifetime. Watch me, watch me go, watch me die when I **** up cause I have no clue what The F' I am doing here. RIP my dumb azz.
no doubt the most ignorant post of the year. you should be banned.talk about a classless asshat!
Old 10-06-2016, 08:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kilo
1. Some cats have tabs some don't
2. This boat had tabs but were removed
3. They did NOT climb a rooster tail - he crossed a "wake"
Re:3 never seen a cat at 100-130 not throwing a rooster tail. Wasn't there and pure speculation on my part, but isn't it plausible that crossing a "wake" means also crossing a rooster tail?
Old 10-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
Re:3 never seen a cat at 100-130 not throwing a rooster tail. Wasn't there and pure speculation on my part, but isn't it plausible that crossing a "wake" means also crossing a rooster tail?
They were no where near the roost of PP. And with the water conditions that day it would be a guess if the wake was even from PP.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That report is not going to do anyone any good. Like what was said before it should've been kept a private matter between the families involved because there's already enough finger-pointing without that being thrown into the mix.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.