Florida hurricane question, i could use some advice or input

Notices

Florida hurricane question, i could use some advice or input

Old 10-06-2016, 04:34 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I have to get back to work as soon as the storm passes so I have never evacuated.

I went through David in 79, Andrew in 92, Frances/Jean 04 and Charlie/Wilma 05.....

Concrete house, full shutters, not in a flood zone but sh!t can still go wrong. I bought a brand new Tahoe 6 weeks ago and it is in my buddy's warehouse as my 2 car garage at home got filled quickly!
Concrete building makes all the difference, my house and workshop were built to 110mph code. I figure 3 is the max for me.

I wish you the very best of luck.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 941 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Concrete building makes all the difference, my house and workshop were built to 110mph code. I figure 3 is the max for me.

I wish you the very best of luck.
http://www.simplymarinas.com/WordPre...r-creek-marina

This marina is currently ground zero for the 140 mph storm. It is literally inside the Ft Pierce inlet and is an old style tin boat barn. I suspect it will pancake and everything inside will be crushed. Guess the 14 million dollar asking price will be significantly less tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 294 Likes on 101 Posts

or Allstate is buying it . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Trust me Dave. Nothing to worry about. I have been through the worst of the worst hurricanes. This storm is strong, but not as strong as Hugo, Andrew, Marylin etc. When those storms passed through it stripped all of the leaves off of all the trees. It looked like a fire passed through. I have seen pictures of haiti and the bahamas and they still have leaves. Storm surge for the coast may be an issue, but as a whole, Florida will be ok.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 427 Likes on 181 Posts

Dave- I am in Cape Coral and would try to help any way that I can. If they need a place to hole up for a day or two until flights get figured out, they can stay here if they wish.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 AM
Registered

Storm hasn't done any real damage (*YET!).....it is hugging the coast but never came ashore.

My oak trees dumped leaves but just wind and 50 mph winds. Local businesses are starting to open now. Palm Beach airport is running at noon, they flew all the planes away so they have to await their returns from other areas.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Hey guys thanks for all the advice and especially offers, looks like they dodged a bullet. They are due back tomorrow morning and hopefully they wont have much issue. Was pretty nervous watching radar all of yesterday hoping for the best, really was considering taking off this morning if it was gonna be bad but in retrospect have to agree with all of you in that it would not have been the best idea in fact probably a pretty bad idea. Hope all the rest of you affected by the storm are safe and sound.

Not sure if any of you noticed but right around seven o'clock the storms eye stalled and shifted its track directly west as it approached Freeport essentially heading straight for Lauderdale. That made me a bit nervous after i had it in my mind it would track by. I suspect the jog was a glitch more then an actual storm shift but ya never know. Nervously waited for the next page update . . . .
Attached Thumbnails Florida hurricane question, i could use some advice or input-mathw.jpg  
Old 10-07-2016, 10:33 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
Hey guys thanks for all the advice and especially offers, looks like they dodged a bullet. They are due back tomorrow morning and hopefully they wont have much issue. Was pretty nervous watching radar all of yesterday hoping for the best, really was considering taking off this morning if it was gonna be bad but in retrospect have to agree with all of you in that it would not have been the best idea in fact probably a pretty bad idea. Hope all the rest of you affected by the storm are safe and sound.

Not sure if any of you noticed but right around seven o'clock the storms eye stalled and shifted its track directly west as it approached Freeport essentially heading straight for Lauderdale. That made me a bit nervous after i had it in my mind it would track by. I suspect the jog was a glitch more then an actual storm shift but ya never know. Nervously waited for the next page update . . . .
It wobbled! pleased to see that so many in Florida have been spared the worst case, at least so far.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:18 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
http://www.simplymarinas.com/WordPre...r-creek-marina

This marina is currently ground zero for the 140 mph storm. It is literally inside the Ft Pierce inlet and is an old style tin boat barn. I suspect it will pancake and everything inside will be crushed. Guess the 14 million dollar asking price will be significantly less tomorrow.
well? . . . . did it make it through?
Old 10-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
well? . . . . did it make it through?
Not sure, not close enough for a drive by and the news reporting out of that area isn't real strong. Storm was weird, it never made landfall until north Florida/southern GA.

It just ran up the coast and 40-50-60 mph winds banged up stuff near the coast. Daytona got hit pretty good and the Jacksonville reports are coming in now. 98% of Volusia county has no power (Daytona area).
http://www.news-journalonline.com/ph...100709997/PH/1

Yesterday in my area nothing was open until about noon but by dinner time all the local restaurants were up and running but then again we never lost power. Kids are going back to school on Monday.