Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Joystick or no joystick? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/341783-joystick-no-joystick.html)

X-rated 10-06-2016 11:58 AM

Joystick or no joystick?

My old school self says no but the technology intrigues me. What say the braintrust of OSO? New 28 ft cat build, twin 400's.

Double C 10-06-2016 12:06 PM

I wouldn't get a joystick on a boat capable of the speeds that boat will run. A tie bar is your friend.

Sydwayz 10-06-2016 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by X-rated (Post 4488976)
My old school self says no but the technology intrigues me. What say the braintrust of OSO? New 28 ft cat build, twin 400's.

Doesn't joystick-control mean you cannot use a tie-bar between the motors?
If so, I don't think that's the route you want to take with a boat of the speeds you are considering.

drejustice just went to 400s on his DCB cat. He has some threads on here with good info.

Knot 4 Me 10-06-2016 12:23 PM

Not an apples to apples comparison, but I have experience with Axius in a 350 Formula SS. Let me tell you, there is an art to using the joystick effectively just as much as there is using your shifters to maneuver a boat in close quarters. I'd stay old school on a 28 cat. You will want that tie bar.

Taboma 10-06-2016 01:08 PM

No joystick on a performance boat. The beauty of the joystick is to allow the motors to steer in different directions as well as to move from forward to reverse at the same time. Great for docking at slow speeds, but definitely not for a cat that needs a tie bar. Test drove a pontoon boat at LOTO shoot out with twin 300 G2's with a joy stick. It works only at idle speeds, ie. for docking. But pretty cool for that! Oh, I forgot to mention that it is a $16K option.

turbom700 10-06-2016 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Taboma (Post 4489012)
No joystick on a performance boat. The beauty of the joystick is to allow the motors to steer in different directions as well as to move from forward to reverse at the same time. Great for docking at slow speeds, but definitely not for a cat that needs a tie bar. Test drove a pontoon boat at LOTO shoot out with twin 300 G2's with a joy stick. It works only at idle speeds, ie. for docking. But pretty cool for that! Oh, I forgot to mention that it is a $16K option.

I think someone misplaced the decmical. When I looked at it I thought it was about a 1600 dollar option. I can totally see it on the big CC but like others have said, really anything that goes over 65-70mph should have a tie bar.

X-rated 10-06-2016 02:26 PM

I guess I was under the impression the tie bar would still be used and the joystick would only control forward and reverse, kinda like we do now with throttles and gear levers.

glassdave 10-06-2016 02:46 PM

they day i need something else to dock my boat is the day i quit boating :D

I do like techie stuff tho :cool: . . . . saw one in action pretty slick . . . ya got me there

TooLateVTEC 10-06-2016 03:03 PM

Just say no.....to the joy stick

pstorti 10-06-2016 04:04 PM

I'm not a fan they just keep making it easier for the idiots.