Szolack withdrawing from Shootout Action

Notices

Szolack withdrawing from Shootout Action

Old 10-24-2016, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
I agree with Indy ^^^^^^

More fun to be had for an hour or two riding 60-70 mph in a chop offshore with other boats (like many of the sports founders did) than a half a minute blast on your own in a straight line on calm water.
Not taking away from speed runs, the little I have been lucky enough to see are good to watch and generally good spectator viewing positions. The offshore racing does have an inherent problem for spectators but personally, I think it takes more skill and showcases what boats can do in adverse conditions.

Offshore guys come home feeling tired, bruised and belted around but they do come home.

Offshore is where it all started with big powerboats and will always hold the excitement for me.

RR
To each his own. Some like Nascar, Some like drag racing. Until You can personally take a 200mph blast you have no idea what the rush feels like. I've been boating many years over lots of big water and I will take the speed every time. That's just my personal opinion
Old 10-24-2016, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
I agree with Indy ^^^^^^

More fun to be had for an hour or two riding 60-70 mph in a chop offshore with other boats (like many of the sports founders did) than a half a minute blast on your own in a straight line on calm water.
Not taking away from speed runs, the little I have been lucky enough to see are good to watch and generally good spectator viewing positions. The offshore racing does have an inherent problem for spectators but personally, I think it takes more skill and showcases what boats can do in adverse conditions.

Offshore guys come home feeling tired, bruised and belted around but they do come home.

Offshore is where it all started with big powerboats and will always hold the excitement for me.

RR
Many offshore guys did not make it home.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by flight club
To each his own. Some like Nascar, Some like drag racing. Until You can personally take a 200mph blast you have no idea what the rush feels like. I've been boating many years over lots of big water and I will take the speed every time. That's just my personal opinion
As you say, "To each his own". I fully respect what others like, just prefer the offshore stuff myself. I have never had the thrill of a 200 mph blast and as I get older, I think my window of opportunity is already closed!

@ Knot 4 Me, I think the risks are higher at higher speeds but don't deny there are risks at all levels. Unfortunately, you're right, there have been fatalities offshore too but I don't think quite so many.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 10-24-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Many offshore guys did not make it home.
That is true, but they were actual "accidents" and NOT high speed blow-overs by exceeding hull limits...maybe a freak barrel roll (Flap-Jack), somebody hits another boat (Popeyes/Beep-Beep) or something out-of-the-ordinary.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by flight club
I have a question.
NOT BEING A SMART-ASS, a bar-stool type of question....obviously you can do whatever you want, so why do you choose an offshore boat versus a drag boat?
Old 10-24-2016, 02:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jusabum
I have a question.
NOT BEING A SMART-ASS, a bar-stool type of question....obviously you can do whatever you want, so why do you choose an offshore boat versus a drag boat?
I don't think I would fit in one. Lol. I would like to try to hydroplane once though
Old 10-24-2016, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I really think you can build a big cat to go 200 in controlled conditions fairly safely. Though it would entail building a boat specifically to do that, not stuffing enough horsepower in a boat designed to go 130 to overpower it to 200, Its not going to be a fun boat to pile several friends in and go barhopping or poker running in though.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
I really think you can build a big cat to go 200 in controlled conditions fairly safely. Though it would entail building a boat specifically to do that, not stuffing enough horsepower in a boat designed to go 130 to overpower it to 200, Its not going to be a fun boat to pile several friends in and go barhopping or poker running in though.
For sure. just not much of a market for it when it's resale time
Old 10-24-2016, 05:03 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phragle
you can - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymT4rmNA-x4 - At the 4 min mark Steve Curtis talks about the designs and add features of the hull to make it "safer"

but as Ron said resale is not good. Even parting the boat out. I think the Qatar team spent a lot of $$$ on research, trial & error before the big run.

I think you made a wise choice Ron, keep it around 120-150mph and spend it with your friends.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is an interesting control used in a somewhat similar situation; anti wheelie control. In the 20 second video you can see the system reacting three times to drop the nose of the bike. When fuel, spark and throttles are all under ECU control and you have a reliable sensor for angle, this obviously works. Boats are different of course. They achieve high angles just launching off waves sometimes when the system does not need to activate. Perhaps the system only needs to be active above a given speed. Main difference...the guy on the motorcycle isn't trying to take a sheet of plywood home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3b3BkMELAM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.