Future Safety Suggestion - Shorten the Shootout Courses >

Future Safety Suggestion - Shorten the Shootout Courses

Notices

Future Safety Suggestion - Shorten the Shootout Courses

Old 10-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Future Safety Suggestion - Shorten the Shootout Courses

First of all, I want to extend my sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Garth and Jim - today's tragic accident will leave them with a large hole in their hearts and lives forever. I never got the chance to meet Garth, unfortunately, but I did get the pleasure of being long-distance friends with Jim since 2004. These guys were doing what they loved, and were damned good at - running a boat faster than 99.99% of the rest of us. They surely had the proper equipment, setup and knowledge to be out on that course at incredible speeds today - unfortunately, circumstances just didn't go their way. But let's not let the loss of these two great men go by without bringing change that can potentially prevent further tragedy to other brave men/women, and their families and friends. The speeds we are seeing can easily be brought down by shortening the shootout courses, which will make for a safer event. Drag racing has gone from 1,320' to 1,000' for the pro classes, Unlimited Hydroplanes have fuel restrictions, Formula 1 mandates little 1.6L engines and NASCAR has restrictor plates - it's about time we, collectively, do something to promote greater safety at future shootouts. This thread is posted with the utmost respect for Garth and Jim, and I hope all that read it see it in a positive light. After discussing today's tragedy with former LOTO Shootout Champion Joe Abellera, I felt compelled to post what Joe and I both feel would make for safer shootout events. We all will miss Garth and Jim........
Old 10-16-2016, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

Boats can blow over at much lower speeds early in the course. I think it's time for some different safety considerations. Guys should be harnessed into carbon pods that absorb the impacts or something. Other motorsports require neck restrains and much more safety gear than sitting on some vinyl pads with a helmet on.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Unfortunately, the biggest factor that makes high speed powerboating dangerous is beyond our control. The weather. Specifically the wind which can turn placid water into dangerous water without warning and have unpredictable effects on the aerodynamics of boats at high speed.

Sadly, I think accidents will always happen as long as people have the competitive urge to push the boundaries and go faster. It's human nature.

Maybe enclosed cockpit cells or capsules could help, perhaps (HANS) head and neck support similar to Formula 1 car racing? I have read of far too many boating tragedies this year and encourage the discussion of any ideas to the community if they can help but it still comes down to the individuals making the best decisions they can at the time while still doing what they love.

RIP to all those who have been lossed in recent times.

Jon.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

That would change the entire nature of the events. Top speed runs are about the top speed of the boats. Shortening the course would make it all about acceleration, essentially drag racing. It's not the answer. Maybe just stop the top speed runs altogether. Too many lives lost. Let's just enjoy driving our boats. And dying "doing what you love" doesn't make one any less dead ...

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 10-16-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

If boats designed and built to run distance in moderately rough conditions are going to be powered and run as drag boats this might help

http://www.lucasoildragboats.com/pdf...Book_Final.pdf

The reality is that it is dangerous, It has a thrill factor because it is dangerous. Thats why people do it as opposed to sipping their latte as they stroll thru the park.

If somebody knows the risk, understands the risk, is not forced to accept the risk who am I (or we) to judge?
Old 10-16-2016, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

radio control on the long distance run.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All changes come slowly. I agree with Dale. A shortened course would certainly limit the top speed. These big boats are still accelerating after the shut down in a mile course. It is effectively a drag race with offshore boats, shortening the course could be effective in limiting top speed. Pod and engineered cockpits would save lives in a crash but would limit the participation. The average boater could not participate in the shootout. Great thread Dale.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
That would change the entire nature of the events. Top speed runs are about the top speed of the boats. Shortening the course would make it all about acceleration, essentially drag racing. It's not the answer. Maybe just stop the top speed runs altogether. Too many lives lost. Let's just enjoy driving our boats. And dying "doing what you love" doesn't make one any less dead ...
Wholly agree with comment . Hardship on family and friends when things go wrong while attempting life threatening stunt.. Is this what life is about? There will always be the daredevil and on the other side, is the common man who abstains from activities that threaten life. Sorry, I feel for the family of the deceased and friends. You want to gamble on a sudden wind gust, have at it.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Throughout mans existence the quest for speed has remained a constant.! It's not about to stop now. No matter what it is man will try and make it go faster and race it.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 554 Likes on 263 Posts

Let's remember that two of this year's major accidents (Art McMahan at Lake Lanier and Richie Prince at Lake of the Ozarks) happened away from a controlled course. Yes shootouts can be dangerous (yesterday's accident and Mike Fiore's in 2014 prove that), but if you look at how many boats have safely run in the shootouts from Desert Storm to LOTO to Grand Lake and beyond over the years, the track record is pretty good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.