Notices

Selling my boat??

Old 10-27-2016, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling my boat??

I have about convinced myself to sell my Spectre. I haven't used it but 3 times this whole season and not many more than that last year due to work obligations. My question is: Would it be beneficial to hold on to it and wait until spring to list or go ahead and start advertising now? Thanks!
Old 10-27-2016, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Save it until spring. Selling now brings out the lowballers and dreamers. Having it sit on websites and listing services all winter will be a turnoff for some lookers- they'll automatically assume it's overpriced or has something wrong with it.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:22 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I've sold three go-fast boats and IMO the determining factor is where the boat is physically located. If the boat is available for a prospective buyer to inspect or even sea trial then I'd post now. You will get tire kickers and low ballers no matter when you post. OSO is cheap to post and S&F is free. Maybe hold off Boattrader until January. As a buyer I did not wait until to spring to start looking for a boat because most good boats are sold by then. I towed my Pantera from NY to Illinois and brokered my last boat with GSC and they were outstanding. Kenny Howiesner in south Florida is also a reputable guy for go fast brokering or keep it simple for sale by owner. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

If you are selling an 18 foot Sea Ray then I agree that one might be better off waiting until spring. But the market for High Performance boats is so small, and so specialized, that your already small pool of potential buyers may be even smaller come spring if someone specifically looking for your brand/model has already found something else........ or if the economy takes a dump.... or any number of other unknown factors that could affect the boat market by spring. I have sold performance boats before when there were literally only 2 or 3 people who ever called on the boat - and one of those three obviously did buy the boat I had for sale. I've often wondered how long it would have taken me to sell my boat if the timing hadn't been right for that one buyer - and at how much a lower a price I would have had to go in order to move it to a different buyer. If you are ready to list the boat, I say list it.

I've had good luck selling my boats at the end of the season, and once in the middle of winter - and have never had to hold one to one long. But then when selling a boat I price it dam near the bottom dollar of what I am willing to accept for it Period. I don't go fishing for high offers. Doing that IMO bring serious buyers, and doesn't waste anyone's time - mine included.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Mine sold in the Winter and had a few solid bidders before the new owner got it.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have space in your bottom dollar to pay commission, contact the used dealers on this board see if they have a buyer or want to sell the boat for you. If selling yourself, price it to be the best deal for the $ when doing the comps. and list it now. If you are trying to get above avg $, then I would wait until Feb.

Last edited by VoodooRob; 10-28-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

If you wait until spring then you miss a minimum of 4 months of potential offers. So what if someone low balls, just move on, if someone is serious you'll know then you can get to work.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Registered

A good deal is a good deal any time of year. Might not get every penny right now but no more insurance, personal prop tax if applicable, maintenance, and January 1 it will be a model year older. Put it out there.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

[QUOTE=Marginmn;4495019]If you are selling an 18 foot Sea Ray then I agree that one might be better off waiting until spring. But the market for High Performance boats is so small, and so specialized, that your already small pool of potential buyers may be even smaller come spring if someone specifically looking for your brand/model has already found something else........ or if the economy takes a dump.... or any number of other unknown factors that could affect the boat market by spring. I have sold performance boats before when there were literally only 2 or 3 people who ever called on the boat - and one of those three obviously did buy the boat I had for sale. I've often wondered how long it would have taken me to sell my boat if the timing hadn't been right for that one buyer - and at how much a lower a price I would have had to go in order to move it to a different buyer. If you are ready to list the boat, I say list it.

Having bought one of those boats you sold, what I will add to this discussion here is the fact that if what you offer is a prime piece, at a real price, a person looking to purchase will be across the table from you making the final arrangements of the deal.

I sat across from Robert at his table, left my money and never looked back.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:32 AM
Registered

A lot of good input and suggestions here guys thanks! I guess I'm really still convincing myself it is time to part ways with her and maybe using the "wait until Spring" as a small excuse. LOL. I will get on it and list and try to list in the next couple weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.