Anybody out there with Merc 2.5s

Notices

Anybody out there with Merc 2.5s

Old 10-02-2002, 03:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody out there with Merc 2.5s

Does anyone use these motors other than racers?
Old 10-02-2002, 03:29 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I do.........I have them on my 28 Skater....race version 2.5 -300's @8200 RPM

They burn 30 gals/hr....idle like kittens and at present have about 100 hours on each motor.

I prefer them to the 300x's in terms of weight, docking and maneuvering at idle, powerhead life and behaviour.

T2x
Old 10-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Registered

I have 2.5 carb motors on 24' lightning Express Cat. I have had good luck and I feel they are more forgiving than the EFI versoins.
I have run EFI's and 2.4 Bridgeports as well. They do use the fuel at high RPM's but compared to a couple of thirsty BBC'c they are not bad.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:53 PM
Registered

Hey Skat, Anything else you can tell me about the 2.5 carbs. I am in negotiations right now on a boat with triple 2.5 carbs. It is a vee bottom, so i know it has diff. fuel usage, but how does your MPG or GPH compare to EFI's. Anything else you can tell me would be great too. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:44 PM
Registered

These impressions are from personal usage only and I don't have data to back them up. It is easier to work on the carb version and problems seem easier to diagnose. They seem to be more forgiving to slight fuel contamination and oil mix/ plug fouling. My EFI motors had fuels brands they liked and did not like, carbs not as big a deal. You are giving up HP to the EFI's but the carbs will turn the RPM'S and lack the rev limiter (this can be a bad thing).
I don't think there is any doubt the newer 2.5 EFI's are awsome and if I was buying brand new I would love to have them.
I have 2.4 BP EFI parts and had little success w/ 2.4 EFI motors.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:00 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a pair of 1997's on my 28 Checkmate. Very pleased with their performance all year. Now if I can only keep the props from backing off...
Attached Thumbnails Anybody out there with Merc 2.5s-28survey4.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 10-02-2002, 09:05 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sharkey we had that same problem on the race boat and found the solution to be use brand new thrust washers EVERY time we took off the props and Torque them on not just tighten them by hand.

Jon
Old 10-02-2002, 11:34 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

@ $40.00 a pair, that could get quite expensive It doesn't seem to be a problem when I have the family out...but when I am running solo that's when I'll start to run it the hardest

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 10-03-2002, 07:12 AM
DanL

we were losing intermediates and lowers constantly running these on the Skate race boat. I was over-propped. the bearing carriers would jump out on re-entry from the extra load from the bigger prop. They were offshore lowers. Broken prop shafts were common also. Motrs were flawless. Only change the powerhead to midsection gasket and spark plugs in 2 full sesons. Went thru 5 lowers.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:38 PM
Registered

I have a pair 280's offshore race on my 28 skater I put 130 hours on in two seasons. took the motors apart changed piston,rings bearings.the pistons looked like they had 10 hours on them. just to be on the safe side i changed them.The 280's have so much snap i wouldnt use anything else....

Quick Reply: Anybody out there with Merc 2.5s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.