Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Key West (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/342642-key-west.html)

eightsecmopar 11-15-2016 07:31 AM

Key West

I have been going to the Key West SBI races now for 8 years.
To me, it seemed like there were less spectator boats in the harbors and less people watching the race. I remember when the harbors were jam packed with boats and people actually watching the race on Sunday would be 6-8 deep along Mallory Square.
Race boat count seemed to be the same.
Anyone else notice this?
Could have been all of the alcohol affecting my brain too..:drink::drink:

Nate5.0 11-15-2016 07:43 AM

While I didn't go I knew more people than ever who did all go. Actually I was the only chump that had to work, it sucked as EVERYONE I know took the trip down.

yahoo 11-15-2016 07:48 AM

The boats were out on the course, as it was calm. Usually its somewhat rough so the boats stay in the harbor.

Cant say on the # of peeps, was not there

mmb 11-15-2016 08:45 AM

Way more people on Duval st this year than previous years, but yes I agree not very many poker run boats last 2 years. It's getting slimmer and slimmer and the FPC has 75% fishing boats running down with them anymore.

Maybe it's because we are not paying much attention to the center consoles and looking for the hardware that people have traded for the center console boats.

Kings11 11-15-2016 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by mmb (Post 4500722)
Way more people on Duval st this year than previous years, but yes I agree not very many poker run boats last 2 years. It's getting slimmer and slimmer and the FPC has 75% fishing boats running down with them anymore.

Maybe it's because we are not paying much attention to the center consoles and looking for the hardware that people have traded for the center console boats.

Prices for our toys have also sky rocketed comparatively in the last 10-20 years. What I would like and what I can afford are not even remotely in the same vicinity anymore.

mrv8outboard 11-15-2016 12:02 PM

They were at Fort Zachery Taylor. It is a really good viewing area for being land based.

Indy 11-15-2016 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kings11 (Post 4500726)
Prices for our toys have also sky rocketed comparatively in the last 10-20 years. What I would like and what I can afford are not even remotely in the same vicinity anymore.

Basically this.

The recession, out of control pricing strategies, and lack of interest from the younger folk are killing the sport, I'd say it's pretty much on life support at this point.

DiamondPerformance 11-15-2016 02:15 PM

I Don't think they were allowed to anchor in the harbor this year, all the boats were out past Sunset Key.

ROGMAN 11-15-2016 04:47 PM

Watched the races from the water in years past. In my opinion, viewing from Truman Annex is the best for me. I think even better than Sunset Pier.
I thought Duval Street was very crowded Friday night for the boat parade, and a ton of fun!!!!!!!

kilo 11-15-2016 04:57 PM

Re: Races I thought there were actually more spectator boats than the last 3yrs, out in Sunset Key...in particular the yachts. Hard for me to gauge the onshore crowds from our vantage point at Sunset Pier.

Re: PR This is my 3rd year in a row to run, always departing on Thursday. I see so many boats being launched and taking off and in pictures but if you don't stop at Gilberts then you really lose sense of the amount of boats. You just get to spread out during the run to have a sense of the number of vessels. I can say for sure that the number of CC's at the raft up on Saturday was large.