Notices

Key West

Old 11-15-2016, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key West

I have been going to the Key West SBI races now for 8 years.
To me, it seemed like there were less spectator boats in the harbors and less people watching the race. I remember when the harbors were jam packed with boats and people actually watching the race on Sunday would be 6-8 deep along Mallory Square.
Race boat count seemed to be the same.
Anyone else notice this?
Could have been all of the alcohol affecting my brain too..
Old 11-15-2016, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

While I didn't go I knew more people than ever who did all go. Actually I was the only chump that had to work, it sucked as EVERYONE I know took the trip down.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:48 AM
Registered

The boats were out on the course, as it was calm. Usually its somewhat rough so the boats stay in the harbor.

Cant say on the # of peeps, was not there
Old 11-15-2016, 08:45 AM
mmb
Registered

Way more people on Duval st this year than previous years, but yes I agree not very many poker run boats last 2 years. It's getting slimmer and slimmer and the FPC has 75% fishing boats running down with them anymore.

Maybe it's because we are not paying much attention to the center consoles and looking for the hardware that people have traded for the center console boats.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mmb
Way more people on Duval st this year than previous years, but yes I agree not very many poker run boats last 2 years. It's getting slimmer and slimmer and the FPC has 75% fishing boats running down with them anymore.

Maybe it's because we are not paying much attention to the center consoles and looking for the hardware that people have traded for the center console boats.
Prices for our toys have also sky rocketed comparatively in the last 10-20 years. What I would like and what I can afford are not even remotely in the same vicinity anymore.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:02 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They were at Fort Zachery Taylor. It is a really good viewing area for being land based.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:14 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Kings11
Prices for our toys have also sky rocketed comparatively in the last 10-20 years. What I would like and what I can afford are not even remotely in the same vicinity anymore.
Basically this.

The recession, out of control pricing strategies, and lack of interest from the younger folk are killing the sport, I'd say it's pretty much on life support at this point.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I Don't think they were allowed to anchor in the harbor this year, all the boats were out past Sunset Key.
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price
Old 11-15-2016, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched the races from the water in years past. In my opinion, viewing from Truman Annex is the best for me. I think even better than Sunset Pier.
I thought Duval Street was very crowded Friday night for the boat parade, and a ton of fun!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2016, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Re: Races I thought there were actually more spectator boats than the last 3yrs, out in Sunset Key...in particular the yachts. Hard for me to gauge the onshore crowds from our vantage point at Sunset Pier.

Re: PR This is my 3rd year in a row to run, always departing on Thursday. I see so many boats being launched and taking off and in pictures but if you don't stop at Gilberts then you really lose sense of the amount of boats. You just get to spread out during the run to have a sense of the number of vessels. I can say for sure that the number of CC's at the raft up on Saturday was large.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.