Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1650 durability (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/342709-1650-durability.html)

stimleck 11-17-2016 11:53 AM

1650 durability

I saw an IG post o 4 spares for the wake effects team and saw the photos of swaps in key west. Is this normal for race motors or is it a crappy motor? Its not like they are endurance races

phragle 11-17-2016 12:29 PM

Well Gieco is running them, when was the last time they finished a race??

Gladhe8er 11-17-2016 12:50 PM

I have heard that after 10 hours they should be rebuilt.

And I believe Geico has their own engine program. They are not drop in Merc 1650's.

999JAY 11-17-2016 01:16 PM

Turbines last longer.

Tim G. 11-17-2016 09:59 PM

For a bit of clarity... The 1650s are RACE engines. They have a short life span...
In no way should they be considered engines for pleasure boats. They are RACE engines.
Some get 20 hours, some get 50....
You may see the Wake Effects and CMS crew changing engines at the races... It does not mean that they have failed. The team manager closely monitors the time and condition of engines.... They have several engines.... Changing out an engine out of an MTI is not a painful process... Not keeping your act together and loosing is painful.

For additional clarity, the Geico team handles managing and tuning of their own engines... They are not 100% out of the box Mercury engines assembled, tuned and built by Mercury Racing... Please do not confuse their reliability record with the engines built and delivered by the crew at Mercury.

Take note that Team Envy now has Mercury 1650s in their boat. The Envy team had a great Key West:)

bulletbob 11-18-2016 06:43 AM

Gary Stray builds/assembles the motors for Geico himself. There is a great TV show on Youtube sponsored buy Snapon that interviewed Stray on the subject. As Tim stated above they are race engines.

Gladhe8er 11-18-2016 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by bulletbob (Post 4501861)
Gary Stray builds/assembles the motors for Geico himself. There is a great TV show on Youtube sponsored buy Snapon that interviewed Stray on the subject. As Tim stated above they are race engines.

I don't know how true this is. I know that Geico got rid of their engine builder after their disastrous 2015 season(It was a speed on the water article). Apparently someone else was doing the engines in 2016.

SB 11-18-2016 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er (Post 4501894)
I don't know how true this is. I know that Geico got rid of their engine builder after their disastrous 2015 season(It was a speed on the water article). Apparently someone else was doing the engines in 2016.

I believe this was the article:
https://speedonthewater.com/in-the-n...N0cmF5J3MiXQ==

kilo 11-18-2016 08:52 AM

1650's = 25hrs max until refresh time according to Merc's website.
1350/1100 = 200hrs

Boatlesss 11-18-2016 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tim G. (Post 4501800)
For a bit of clarity... The 1650s are RACE engines. They have a short life span...
In no way should they be considered engines for pleasure boats. They are RACE engines.
Some get 20 hours, some get 50....
You may see the Wake Effects and CMS crew changing engines at the races... It does not mean that they have failed. The team manager closely monitors the time and condition of engines.... They have several engines.... Changing out an engine out of an MTI is not a painful process... Not keeping your act together and loosing is painful.

For additional clarity, the Geico team handles managing and tuning of their own engines... They are not 100% out of the box Mercury engines assembled, tuned and built by Mercury Racing... Please do not confuse their reliability record with the engines built and delivered by the crew at Mercury.

Take note that Team Envy now has Mercury 1650s in their boat. The Envy team had a great Key West:)

Are you saying that the engines in CMS are 100% stock normal Merc 1650's like everyone else gets from Mercury?