Notices

Extension Box Preferences

Old 10-05-2002, 05:52 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Heard some bad things about the land and sea

I heard some bad things about the land & sea drive extender. I hear that they change the way the boat trims, and when you trim the drive up it is just raising it higher out of the water rather than changing the agle of attack. This is just hear say, I have never used one myself.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

What kind of drive are you using? Obviously, a Bravo One drive application doesn't need a transmission, therfore a Stellings extension box for the Bravo One has a yoke type of set-up within the extension box which makes for no room for a tranny---but then a tranny isn't obvisously needed for a Bravo application as I initially mentioned. BUT, if you are going with a larger type of drive like #3's or 4's or 5's or 6's I think those may have provisions to accomodate a tranny.

Just for your info, IMCO makes an extension box without a yoke for the Bravo......they just use a longer drive/input shaft. Not quite sure what you are attempting to do exactly, but I suppose an IMCO extension box might be able to accomodate a tranny---but then the IMCO extension box is made for a Bravo. But the Stellings boxes have holes drilled out for 3 different drive heights whereas the IMCO does not.

I would think that you are refering to the extension boxes that are used for numbered drives as I have mentioned. I am not familiar with any of those, however someone might chime in who has some experience with them.

What are your plans?
Old 10-05-2002, 10:14 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the nice things about the imco box is that it has the stock rubber coupler. This will help cushion the drive train in the event of a impact. One of the nice things about the Stellings is that it doesn't have the stock merc coupler so you don't have to worry about spinning it. I like the Stellings because it has the adjustable height. I'll be using that feature in the future. WPM were the innovators of the extension box.

Timuncin-the land and sea system is not endorsed by merc because of the way it loads the gimble assembly. You will also find quite a few people who didn't gain anything from the box. I personally feel that the product is limited to boats that go less than 70mph and require a large amount of trim to run their bestest. In other words, not on a performance boat.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:56 PM
TSNAVE

CORD! Thanks for the info. I run a Blackhawk outdrive, 1.36 gear with 31 pitch props. I will be running a "top-secret" tranny that fits inside of an extension box. I am having a difficult time finding info on the web about the Stelling box. Do you know the link? I've talked with Ron, Frank and Fred Jr. at IMCO and tried Tom at WPM late last week but he was out. I'm curious how the height adjustment works on the Stellings. Whether it is tall enough to raise it on the transom from the stock location? The rest of the application is a centrifically blown, intercooled 540 with a F.A.S.T. sequential setup.

T.

Old 10-05-2002, 11:02 PM
TSNAVE

FYI CORD! I'm the guy you spoke with about the Blackhawk. I've decided to bump'er up over the winter and buy ALL the Blackhawk parts I could find. I talked with Gary the other day and he said you got the Firechicken running. How does it run?

T.

Old 10-05-2002, 11:07 PM
TSNAVE

JUST TO CLEAR THE AIR! I AM NOT LOOKING AT THE LAND AND SEA WANNABE EXTENDER...

Old 10-06-2002, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

TSNAVE, I run the Stellings extension boxes and have mounted them intially as high as I can go with them. They have three heigth settings---each setting is 1" apart for a total of 3 inches that the drive can be moved. It's not an easy thing to do, but at least if you have to move the whole drive, Stellings makes it possible.

With a Stellings extension box a Merc drive coupler cannot be used, but isn't good for the drive. Something IS needed to take it's place. I have just installed what is called a "Drive Saver". I bought them from Teauge Marine. It is like a hard plastic/nylon type of material and bolts between the driveshaft and coupler. I had to have my driveshafts shortened to do this. Anyway, these Drive Savers are made to absorb the shock loads that go from the drive to the engine; shifting, drive re-entry, etc. But then the Stellings still has no room inside of it because of the yoke for something like a tranny---an IMCO has the room it seems.

Sounds like you have an interesting project going on there. Best wishes

BTW, I don't think Stellings has a website, but I think that might change in the near future.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The older Stellings had three separate holes and required unbolting from the tromsom to change. The newer version has slotted holes and a 'jack screw' steup where you loosen the bolts and jack the box up and down.
I have had both boxes mounted to my transom and to do what you want with a trans inside I would consider building my own box. If you have the engineering to do the trans then a box would be easy. The two boxes have small openings and you probably would not be able to get the trans inside of it.
Build a box with an open bolt on lid.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Talk to Marc at Bam Marine in Florida. I bought an extension box from him that holds my tranny. I'm sure that he could help you with your project.

Bill
Old 10-07-2002, 08:55 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TSNAVE-The boat runs good, had a few problems, some of which were my doing, some the gods. There is another thread on my ordeal, so I won't go into it here. If you are looking for Blackhawk parts between Gary and Rod at Performance Marine you will be setup. Let's just say that there is a "collection" of blackhawk parts around there. It's no coincidence that Rod just happened to have your transmission.

My box has the slots. I have seen the drilled ones and it would be worth the mill time to make then into slots. I'm not sure how the drilled ones are mounted, but the slotted ones have a plate with a bolt that raises and lowers the box. Of course a overhead hoist helps this greatly. I suppose that a floor jack would also work. KAMMA is correct in that the box is very tight. You definetly need small hands to work in there. I don't know about the others, but I ended up brazing a hard pipe to get the water out of the box. The turns were just too tight and too close to the drive shaft for me to be comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails Extension Box Preferences-016-oso.jpg  

Last edited by Cord; 10-07-2002 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Extension Box Preferences

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.