Notices

Info. on GPS units...

Old 10-04-2002, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info. on GPS units...

I would like to purchase a GPS unit. Any advice you can provide would be helpful. I would use mine on large inland lakes and large rivers, as well as traveling along interstates and St. Routes. I am gathering info. but I would like to purchase one for $300 range.

1. What unit do you use-make & model?
2. How much did it cost-where did you purchase it? Best place to purchase one?
3. Pros/Cons of your unit?
4. Other advice...?
5. Do you have one or know of anyone who has one for sell used?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Last edited by Luv-N-It; 10-04-2002 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:05 AM
Registered

So... no one has any info. for me
Old 10-04-2002, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found it tough to spend $300 and get everything I was looking for. Spent $450 for a Garmin 176 through gpsdiscount.com. Then I spent a little more for the Mapsource/MetroGuide software. The 176 is great for taking either on the water or on the road. It gives good detail and the screen is large enough that you can view your route without a lot of clutter.

I would prefer the Garmin 182 for a fixed mount unit in the boat as the screen is much larger and allows you to navigate while underway. The 176 screen is a tad small. If I'm navigating alone it's tough to view at speed.

Gpsdiscount offered fantastic service at the best prices.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:08 PM
Registered

I also have a Garmin 176.
Pros: Small enough to be portable and big enough to be (almost) readable. I use a four-panel screen that shows course and speed and two other things (you can choose what's shown) most of the time because the numbers are nice and big. It runs on batteries or a cigarette lighter plug, so there's no need for hard wiring.
Cons: I agree with Frequency that it's a little hard to use for navigation at speed. The basemap that comes with it is pretty poor and has no marine info. You gotta spring for the BlueChart chips, which aren't cheap.
Cost: $499+tax at Boat/US plus whatever the BlueChart is when I get it. I'd check Consumers Marine Electronics in NJ too. I've gotten good prices from them.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:28 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies Jana and Frequency. Anyone else have advice?
Old 10-04-2002, 12:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a garmin gps map 76 handheld. I like the map feature (though it is quite small). I paid just over 300 for it at the NY boatshow last Jan. and like the portability
Old 10-04-2002, 12:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

The Garmin GPS MAP76 seems to be the way to go in a handheld. You can get similar features in the Magellan Meridian Marine for a little less money but it doesn't have a max speed function for those hands free top end runs. Look HERE for what appears to be a good deal on a factory warranteed reconditioned unit from Garmin.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:44 PM
Registered

I have the Garmin Etrex Vista and I love it. you can use it for anything. I bought mine from LakeRacer he saved me a lot of money on it. Whatever unit you decide to buy you should check with him to see if he can get you a better deal.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a ****load of research on this topic. Settled on the Garmin GPSmap76s. It has some excellent features that until you have used others you cannot appreciate. Off course alarm, configurable screens, anchor drag, and proximity alarms. The proximity is very usefull. Set a waypoint and create an alarm to go off within x distance. Handy for turns or submerged objects.

Tim T.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garmin

I have a old Garmin GPS II. It has more features and menu pages than I am smart enuf to use . I got it in 1999 so it has seen 4 years of boating and off roading and still works just fine. It has a top speed function that is always on. It also has a map that draws a little line as you go so all you have to do is fallow the bread crum trail to get home. It also has a light for night use. I think the new model is a IV. Charlie

Quick Reply: Info. on GPS units...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.