Notices

How Many Watts Do I need?

Old 10-06-2002, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The amplifier brand that I found that work best on boats is the Rockford Fosgate bd models. Subwoofers are the power hungry side to a sound system. Many people have learned that Class D amps are far greater in efficiency at making big power with the least amount of current demand. Class D amps are more efficient than all Class AB amps at high volumes but at low volumes they are very inefficient.

Rockford Fosgate took this one step further. They use a Class BD circuit to be most efficient at low and high volumes. Bear in mind that an ampliers output is rated usually at 13.8 volts and that as the voltage goes lower the amplifiers demand increases. Choosing the correct amp is critical as you can either buy an amp that exagerates power ratings or an amp that requires more battery voltage than what you can offer in a marine application thereby the amp cannot perform as promised.

If anyone is looking for professional advise or a good deal on an amp feel free to call (813)882-8477 Monday thru Saturday 9 to 6 EST.

Andy Buzz
Old 10-06-2002, 06:37 PM
Boating Fool

Ram,

Thanks for the info. That was what I was meaning just used the wrong terminology

Old 10-06-2002, 07:49 PM
apache77

this is the beginning of my 8-15" sub install and 8-7x10s
can you say boom
Attached Thumbnails How Many Watts Do I need?-resizesubs.jpg  

Old 10-06-2002, 08:02 PM
sroker

apache77
this is the beginning of my 8-15" sub install and 8-7x10s
Yikes, won't that create a time warp?

Old 10-06-2002, 08:16 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can you say stress cracks
And I thought I was bad having 2 pro touring JBL cabs in my Yukon 4-15" 2- compression horns + factory 6 speakers

8 x15s and god knows what else thats gotta be one Fu--king
loud boat
Old 10-06-2002, 08:36 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Apache 77 I guess sound quality is not critical to you

That is a very agressive project. What you going to to to cover the speakers? Please tell me not leave them visible. I have been tossing some sub ideas around for my boat but have not come up with the best fit yet. I was trying to make it so that you would not see any subs at all. I am close but the numbers are still a little off. If I can get it right it will hit hard and loud and will be almost invisible!!! Not a easy thing to do.

There are two things to consider when trying to make a speaker play loud. One is will it be able to handle the power that you are tossing at it. DO NOT get a speaker that is rated for 300 watts RMS and only put 15 watts to it. You will not be happy. More speakers are blown from not enough power then to much. The second thing that you need to look at is the speakers efficiency. This is rated at 1 watt/1 meter. The DB rating that fallows that helps you know how efficient the speaker is. So if you see a speaker that is 90db and one that is 93 db then the 93 db speaker is going to use up twice the power of the other. Some times people aske me what is the best speaker. Well there is no real correct answer to that. That is why guys like me design systems. We know the parts that like to work together. That being said the speaker that I seem to incorporate into every marine system that I do are the Babbs. They are very efficient so you can use a small amp. They sound great. They do not have a spider on the back so they seem to last longer. They are alluminum cones so when you are washing the boat, go ahead and hose them down, it is actually good for them. For front speakers due to the ussuall crappy locations available for the speakers I ussually try for Component speakers. These are ussually but not necassarily less efficient then others. That I like to do is to put the mid bass speaker (ussually 6" rounds) and then move the tweeter around tell I like the location and the sound that I get. Then I mount it up. The most common set up that I seem to put in boats is a pair of 6" component Clarions up front, 6X9 Babb speakers in the back maybe under the bench seat, and a pair of 10" subs. Boxed if you can, if not then put them free air (just make sure you have free air subs). I run all this ussually with the Rockford amps as they seem to take the beating that the boats hand out. I have yet to have any go bad on me. I have had a few dead out of the box but it seems that if they make the UPS trip that they work well

Hope that helps some. If you have any other questions fire away.

Jon
Old 10-06-2002, 08:39 PM
sroker

This is what that boats gonna look and sound like!
Attached Thumbnails How Many Watts Do I need?-plane.jpg  

Old 10-06-2002, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any special tricks when cutting the fiberglass to make the holes for the speakers? What is the best tool and procedure? Also is there any tricks when mounting subs that have big heavy magnets to prevent stress cracks and such. Thanks
Old 10-06-2002, 10:11 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have heard very good things about the Roto-Zip for cutting speaker and other types of holes in boats.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:17 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well there are two ways that I do it and that depends on the location. If I can I like to use a Laminate cutting bit on a saber saw. It creates a LOT LESS dust. I put Duct tape on the bottom of the saw and put Masking tape on the boat This will make sure that it is not scratched. I do not like ROTO zips as they can grab and take off uncontrolled. Well if it takes off in the wrong direction you are screwed!!! So I use a Dremmel with a roto zip bit in it. Then you can control it easily. Hope that helps. Oh ya if you put a vacume near were you are cutting it will greatly reduce the mess.

Jon

Quick Reply: How Many Watts Do I need?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.