Notices

Buying Without Sea Trial?

Old 12-18-2016, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying Without Sea Trial?

Everyone says to "wait and buy a boat in the winter, you'll get a better deal." That's great, but now I've found several boats I really like, many of them up north, and a sea trial is totally out of the question. Is it OK to just get a marine survey done with the boat out of the water? Do a compression/leak down test and call it good? I had one marine survey guy recently tell me that "a sea trial is crucial, don't purchase any boat without one." But that brings me back to the conundrum of having to wait until March-April to look at some of these boats! I'm in Tampa, and could start using the boat right away. Looking at Donzi ZXO's, Sunsation 288's, etc. What is a man to do this time of year?
Old 12-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put on a coat and drive.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could hire a company to do a survey and email you a written report. I do suggest that you go up there while it is being done.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I have purchased our last 2 boats sight unseen. BUT, I had thorough surveys with video conferencing and both boats were not abused with very minimal wear and tear. I also negotiated enough room to protect the purchase if something got sideways in a big way. No boat is perfect, just stack the chips as much as you can in your favor.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sea trials are great to have done. My current boat did not have one... I did run the boat of the trailer....went through the drives...forward/reverse while running....everything checked out. So....successful?
Boated 3 hrs with it that weekend....all good but the following trip broke a drive.
Sea trial would not have caught that....but they are good to have if its available
Old 12-18-2016, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

get your sea trial done!!!! i just lost a court case with Grand Valley Marine over this type of situation. once it leaves their lot there is little recourse if there is a problem
Old 12-18-2016, 11:03 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've bought sight unseen....People on here knew the boat and former owner. Worked out ok, I had a few little issues but I expected that, It's a used boat, you can afford to put money into it.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I too suggest a sea trial. If nothing else, you get a feel for what you are buying. I flew from Houston to Chicago, drove to Racine to do my sea trial. Got on an ocean like Lake Michigan in my new to me (at the time hoping to my) 35 Outlaw for only 5 min or so. Couldnt open her up, had water crashing over the bow, was shocked at how that lake swallowed up a 35. I boat on a smaller, calm lake, so all good for me, but I did enjoy that sea trial. Had it marine surveyed on the same trip.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Speaking from experience a sea trial is a lot cheaper then getting the lawyer afterwards.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:21 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Just a few reasons of the many for sea trials and to check a boat at rest in the water. Yes check the boat at rest in the water. One is water leaks with engine off - also leans over to one side or another and or very stern heavy just sitting in the water.

Next is engines perform differently under load compared to even running them on a water hose. A boat engine can sound great on the water hose and even throttle up pretty good on the water hose but put that same boat in the water and it can be a whole different story how the engine(s) performs and throttle ups.

Also handling and steering as a person would never know how all that pans out without a sea trial. Boat might handle and ride like pig for many different reasons.

Have I bought boats without sea trials - yes I have but do not recommend it especially since the huge boat repo market - too much cobb job hidden chit out there.

I will add I have never been in a used a boat that does not need something whether its very minor or minor or medium or major. Always need at least something.

Last edited by BUP; 12-18-2016 at 02:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.