Notices

Buying Without Sea Trial?

Old 12-18-2016, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sea Trial is a must! The one time I did not, I got smoked. Seller knew exactly what he was doing too. Another time I had a short sea trial on a DONZI in the winter in Louisville. Two inches of snow on the ramp and 30 degrees.
Just wanted to make sure the hull didn't have any strange handling characteristics. It was a short cold ride but it checked out. Too much to risk with these boats. Too many people that will tell you things that you need to see for yourself.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Used boats break NO MATTER what and there are plenty who have had surveys and sea trials only to have unexpected breakdowns.

I've bought MANY motorized toys sight unseen, without sea trials, without test drive , and I never waste money on a survey, etc.

If the overall value is there and you love it there's other ways to make sure you feel like your getting a good buy.

Depends on your level of research and knowledge, how much trust is built with the seller, etc.

If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy to get a survey, leak down & Compression test, and a sea trial PLEASE do. You may also enjoy a subscription to consumer reports ;-)

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 12-18-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

I agree buying a used powerboat is going to be expensive to maintain with or without a sea trial. If your intuition about the boat's condition and the seller's integrity is there buy it! It's a boat.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A sea trial is important to me, just to check handling characteristics and whatnot but being as you are in Tampa, you can forgo one or search farther south so its not an issue for the seller.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CLASSIC MUSCLE
Everyone says to "wait and buy a boat in the winter, you'll get a better deal." That's great, but now I've found several boats I really like, many of them up north, and a sea trial is totally out of the question. Is it OK to just get a marine survey done with the boat out of the water? Do a compression/leak down test and call it good? I had one marine survey guy recently tell me that "a sea trial is crucial, don't purchase any boat without one." But that brings me back to the conundrum of having to wait until March-April to look at some of these boats! I'm in Tampa, and could start using the boat right away. Looking at Donzi ZXO's, Sunsation 288's, etc. What is a man to do this time of year?
I have never done a sea trial on any boat I have bought. and I have been a boater since 1974. I guess if you are smart and know a lot about boats. You can't go wrong.
If you are worried about it, fly out and see the boat. Take a good look at it before you buy it. Make sure it's good
Old 12-18-2016, 05:02 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Keep I'm mind that depending on the storage situation the boat may not even be able to be taken out of storage till spring. Lots of times if the boat is stored indoors at a marina/ warehouse it might be blocked in by dozens of boats. You're knowledge of boats and the type of boat comes into play as well. If it's a common type factory rigged boat, there shouldn't be any unusual handling conditions that show up during a sea trial. The last time I bought a boat without a sea trial we agreed for me to hold onto several thousand of the agreed sale price for a few months until the boat could be used. Any necessary repairs were to be taken out of these funds. It all worked out well, but of course this takes a level of trust and honesty between the two of you.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Bought my 37' AT with a thorough survey, leak down, etc but no sea trial. And it was local and it was June. HOWEVER, I planned to do a lot to it after purchase and it had Merc power. and a known hull design with a local builder that new the boat. I had zero regrets and a great boat.

My Skater a had a THREE DAY sea trial because I had a great seller that WANTED me to be sure it was what I had hoped. It had been out of sight for a few years and had some relatively large and custom power. I had a survey after the deal was done and that was mostly for insurance notes.

The point is, if you know a decent amount about the boat and the seller, if it's a standard version for the builder, a good survey and mechanical may be enough. I would still be present for the exams though.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I've sea trialed all the boats I've bought. One time was in Feb. in Maryland, another Nov. in CT, and even a brand new boat. Unless the local waters are frozen, I would expect a sea trail.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:48 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I have sea trialed all of the boats I've purchased and had my last surveyed even though it was only one year old at time of purchase. The survey found a minor blemish that the seller readily fixed on his dime. It was worth the survey. IMO, based on your two top choices of a ZXO and 288, I'd do as much research on the boats now but wait until spring for a proper seatrial. 288's come up for sale often, the ZXO is a little more difficult to find but both are IO's and you won't have a clue if they were properly winterized unless you run them in a seatrial and not just a hose for a few minutes. It's hard to do but patience now can save you a lot of heartache, aggravation and $$$$ down the road. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was buying a boat 12 hours away. Got there go on sea trial and guy wouldn't open it maybe 3500rpm this boat was a race boat. Thought this was odd but it's not my boat yet. Idling in someone was looking out for me as the drive let go. I still took the boat home with the promise of owner fixing drive. Owner only wanted to pay 500 bucks on a 5000 repair, then to top it off 2 holes had zero compression now i got why he was driving like an old lady. This guy knew exactly what he was doing and it almost worked. I was young and the guy said he was going to sue me. Ended up hauling the boat back 12 hours on my dime. My hope is karma bites this guy hard what an ass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.