Notices

Seven Marine vs Verado

Old 01-05-2017, 05:44 PM
DFC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
BTW the 39 ME was in because the outside motors were eating lower units......if owner was running it hard, it the outside motor would run dry in hard turns.
Something for Merc to work on I guess...might be a ways off, but that sounds like it could be solved with a sensor, as in exceeding a bank angle in a turn = cutting fuel to the outside OB, or something along those lines.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
I think you guys are wrong, that is just the tilt on the integrated Stern Thruster, helps with parking.....lol.
Just saw this..... LMAO!
Old 01-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by DFC
Something for Merc to work on I guess...might be a ways off, but that sounds like it could be solved with a sensor, as in exceeding a bank angle in a turn = cutting fuel to the outside OB, or something along those lines.
That wouldn't work. If you were truly driving the boat in rough seas, you could have the boat at different angles and rudder angles, and still be fully hooked up; especially if you were turning on the face of a wave of similar. If you were to cut power to anything at that point, that could be really bad. You just need a better driver (throttleman).
Old 01-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by turbom700
What about fuel consumption on these boats? Similar HP either 3 triple 7 and 4 400r's!!!!! I would have to think having one less engine would burn less fuel, and with guys putting 1000hrs on a boat that could add up.
The Seven Marine 557 burns 55 GPH @ WOT
Mercury Racing 400R burns 38.5 GPH @ WOT
I have not seen numbers on the 627

Quad 400's: 154 GPH
Triple 557's: 165 GPH
Old 01-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Pretty cool watching those guys in that fishin' bote letting it all hang out.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They need to get back quick before the clouds open up.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
The Seven Marine 557 burns 55 GPH @ WOT
Mercury Racing 400R burns 38.5 GPH @ WOT
I have not seen numbers on the 627

Quad 400's: 154 GPH
Triple 557's: 165 GPH
Trip 557's will be less drag (1 less props spinning, 1 less lower unit dragging in the water, gears, etc.) and should be more efficient. I am not sure what that translates to for cruise speed and top end though.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
That wouldn't work. If you were truly driving the boat in rough seas, you could have the boat at different angles and rudder angles, and still be fully hooked up; especially if you were turning on the face of a wave of similar. If you were to cut power to anything at that point, that could be really bad. You just need a better driver (throttleman).
From what I have seen these setups are DTS and do not have 3 or 4 throttle levers. Controls I have seen are only two levers. One for port engines and one for starboard engines. That kind of setup makes be believe independent throttling of outside motor in a leaning turn would be impossible.

Seems to me they either need a drive guardian type setup integrated into outboards or like was mentioned before some kind of computer control program that automatically changes throttle to compensate.

Seems it wouldn't be too hard to have a kind of system like what an ABS/traction control/torque management system uses where it makes adjustments based on the speed of other wheels/propshafts. DTS throttle would monitor shaft RPM of all the outboards and when one falls outside of a range, it could throttle back to match RPM/cut torque or prop shaft speed to match the others for preservation. Design a linked ECU system for these multi engine installations that treats each motor like an individually controlled wheel of a car. Very similar to what new hybrid/all electric systems car systems where in a turn the electric wheel motors vary speed/torque independently to actually make the car corner tighter and faster than a conventional setup. Torque vectoring.

Last edited by Gimme Fuel; 01-06-2017 at 02:10 PM.