Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Canale Takes Ownership of Sonic Powerboats >

Canale Takes Ownership of Sonic Powerboats

Notices

Canale Takes Ownership of Sonic Powerboats

Old 01-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

IMO there has been NO advancement in mono hull bottom design, basically if you want to go real fast, you switch to a catamaran.
Seriously, where do you go with a single hull design? Add a pad, add more strakes, maybe some steps? And steps are something that helped back when the speeds were much slower and the weight was much higher.

Most builders claim they add speed, most builders have also seen more issues...some have flipped, rolled, spun-out, etc...now you need lessons on how to turn, how to slow down and whatever.

Offshore racing is (or was) NOT about top speed in smooth water, going in circles...it was about challenging Mother Nature as you went "offshore" where you could not see any land, and you hoped that nothing broke and that you could find the checkpoint...to point A and back, NO BLACK FLAG, just man-up and hold on.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jusabum
IMO there has been NO advancement in mono hull bottom design, basically if you want to go real fast, you switch to a catamaran.
Seriously, where do you go with a single hull design? Add a pad, add more strakes, maybe some steps? And steps are something that helped back when the speeds were much slower and the weight was much higher.

Most builders claim they add speed, most builders have also seen more issues...some have flipped, rolled, spun-out, etc...now you need lessons on how to turn, how to slow down and whatever.

Offshore racing is (or was) NOT about top speed in smooth water, going in circles...it was about challenging Mother Nature as you went "offshore" where you could not see any land, and you hoped that nothing broke and that you could find the checkpoint...to point A and back, NO BLACK FLAG, just man-up and hold on.
You cannot actually be serious? The speed increases due to bottom technology have been huge. Compare a straight bottom Top Gun to a Twin Step and you can see the difference. Outerlimits is approaching catamaran speeds with v bottoms. There is no comparison of a hull designed 40 years ago and what is around today. If there was no advancement, there would be no reason for new hulls, and everyone would be driving around in a 1990 straight bottom gun.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 AM
Registered

I'm very serious.

Bottom technology? Wow, sounds sophisticated. Thats is actually entertaining considering this is the marine industry that is stuck in the 80's.
There is NO technology being used in this industry at this time, NONE...with the exception of lamination techniques, and I guess we can say the electronics and controls.

The speed increases you mention have been from massive HP, lighter weight and longer running surfaces. Do you know the origin of the Outerlimits? The fountain? Most every one of the so-called faster designs are all related in some way, to the little Magnum of years ago. Actually, I'll say the Stepp Velocity 30' and 22' were a departure from the Hunt designs.

Answer this - who has actually utilized technology for boat design research? This is a caveman industry, why? The returns are not there to invest into real technology. Who has calculated the mass, versus drag, versus air flow, resistance and etc. Who has employed wind-tunnel efforts? Who has actually utilized CAD/CAM? Answer? Not one single US (hi-performance) boat builder has invested into modern technology...the closet they have come is "drawing" the boat in a computer, and "dragging" a model thru the water. Nobody has designed in the computer, they simply draw it in 3D and then use that for cutting foam for a plug. I'll bet that an 18' Sea Ray has more technology in it than any hi-performance design out there...including Mystic, Skater, Outerlimits, MTI and etc.

You're welcome!
Old 01-18-2017, 02:09 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
There is no comparison of a hull designed 40 years ago and what is around today.
I think part of it is putting absurd power in these things along with better lay-up materials and techniques.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Answer this - who has actually utilized technology for boat design research? This is a caveman industry, why?
This is not entirely true. http://www.schoellmarine.com/innovations.htm

Granted, Harry does not design hulls to be uber fast between two bouys on a market course on a salt river with a current and a tailwind; while factoring in the moon's position to ensure the tide is going out so the course is actually downhill...
...but he does use a ton of technology in his hull designs; has for years.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I think part of it is putting absurd power in these things along with better lay-up materials and techniques.
and reducing weight significantly...... What did a 41 Apache weigh vs. a 41 OL today?
Old 01-19-2017, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
and reducing weight significantly...... What did a 41 Apache weigh vs. a 41 OL today?
Half the weight double (or more) the power. prop design seems to have come a long way since 2000 IMO. just like at the grocery there was a time when you had 2 -10 brands bbq, milk, shampoo, whatever. Car wash prodcuts are the same way. 25 junk products (minimum) that are marketed, but never really designed for a quality job. The market is too saturated on every aspect of our lives. IMO the boat builders dont want to give up that piece of the market they have cornered, unless they have a winner.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 339 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm very serious.

The speed increases you mention have been from massive HP, lighter weight and longer running surfaces.
Check out the specs on the 1997 35 and 38 Fountains vs the 2007s. The weight of the boats didn't change but both models picked up 15 mph with the same power and they did it via improved hull design, going full stagger vs side-by-side, and improved props that allowed higher X dim. Lighter weight had nothing to do with the speed increases.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Check out the specs on the 1997 35 and 38 Fountains vs the 2007s. The weight of the boats didn't change but both models picked up 15 mph with the same power and they did it via improved hull design, going full stagger vs side-by-side, and improved props that allowed higher X dim. Lighter weight had nothing to do with the speed increases.
Seriously dude?! You're killing me.

You do know how they used to come up with their weight numbers, right? ROFLMAO....you read to much.

Please explain how a "full stagger" makes a boat faster? And you claim lighter weight had nothing to do with it?
C'mon, man...

I'm sorry, but sometimes people just say funny things.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:00 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Seriously dude?! You're killing me.

You do know how they used to come up with their weight numbers, right? ROFLMAO....you read to much.

Please explain how a "full stagger" makes a boat faster? And you claim lighter weight had nothing to do with it?
C'mon, man...

I'm sorry, but sometimes people just say funny things.
Agreed, and we are lucky to have an apparent self proclaimed expert, such as yourself, impart us with his vast wisdom

Last edited by scarabman; 01-20-2017 at 05:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.