Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OHIO OSOer's!  Central Ohio fall shootout. >

OHIO OSOer's! Central Ohio fall shootout.

Notices

OHIO OSOer's! Central Ohio fall shootout.

Old 10-18-2002, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many guys on here are pro boat racers? I see where guys put there team names and say "bring your F1".

No. but seriously. If you are a boat racer. Post your name and class. Then I can see if I know any of you that way.

No BS out of me today. Sorry!!

To the guy who told his buddy to bring his F1. Are you talking about Factory 1 or Formula 1 (OPC)? I was talking about Formula 1 (16' tunnel boats with 400hp o/b on them that weigh 900 pounds fully rigged).
We will see about bringing the F1 down. A little worried about the DNR on that one. If they are there, I suppose we can always leave it on shore.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts
Exclamation TWO THINGS!

#1. I know of a certain Eliminator that is rumored to be attending. If it is, YOWSER!!
Cant remember your name but I met you a couple of years ago on the Muskegon (sp?) River when I towed my 24' Sonic to see my friend Kevin M. who lives there on the water.
Have'nt seen your new baby but Kevin has told me about it.
If you are coming, yikkkkkkeeeesss! (three Eliminators on that pool with the slowest one running mid 120's )

#2. They drop the water level at Alum every fall so the Winter ice does'nt erode the normal shore line.
The water is now down around 8' or 9'.
For those of you coming that don't know the lake it's just and old flooded farming valley.
If you follow the contours of the shore line you will be able to tell where its shallow.
It's still over 50' deep off shore.
The ramp at the marina where you are meeting at is one place to be carefull.
As you head out of that cove, go straight for the middle of the lake. The penninsula to your left will either be exposed or very, very shallow.
There is a gravel bar to your right that runs basically straight out towards (east) the lake from the break wall of the ramp. This bar runs approx 50 yds out, and then turns straight south towards the damn. This will also be exposed or very,very shallow.
Another similar area is the first main land mass north of the s.e. ramp by the damn. Give this area 100 yds. (I hit a cement block here with a 14' O/B while at least 50 yds off shore!)
Most of the lake is very deep, just remember the farm land/valley scenario.
If you give the shore line 100 yds, you'll be fine.
See Yah all there!
Gary
Old 10-18-2002, 08:09 AM
Registered

TWIN O/B SONIC: thanks for geography info.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:11 AM
Registered

I dont think it is down 8 feet, maybe 5. I agree on the ramp area though, keep going past the bouy for maybe 100 feet, because at the bouy it may be 4-6 feet. Was there last sat and watched the depth finder.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:37 AM
Registered

I just checked with the US Army Corps of Engineers website, as of 10/18 6:00 AM, the water is down appx. 6 feet from normal.

They go on elevations and normal is 888' above sea level, the level at 6:00 AM was 882.83'. Over a 24 hour period the level went down .08'.

Twin O/B knows what to look out for over there, he summed it up nicely. Basically, use common sense other than the stuff he pointed out.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:39 AM
Registered

Twin o/b, are you bringing your boat?
Old 10-18-2002, 09:45 AM
Registered

Thumbs up YEP

People freak out when the water drops there.
Guess what?? They do it every year. (also helps keep some of the wally weekenders away )
When that lake is down 10' it's still one of the deepest inland lakes in the state!
Straight out of the ramp inlets, give the shore line 100 yds and you'll be fine.
Have seen people destroy a bunch of stuff in the areas I described (very decieving, kinda like Erie, it looks deep every where) but thats the main area's to watch for.
There is another one though on the east side of the lake, just south of the Cheshire rd bridge.
Give that one 50 yds and you'll be fine though.
To any of you local guys, the seceret is to go cruise around the lake in the middle of the Winter when the water is down to its shallowest.
All of those aereas will be exposed.
Gary
Old 10-18-2002, 09:49 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Thrill

Yep!
Had a motor give me probs last time we came back form Erie and I want to see if I've got it fix'd before puttin her on moth balls for the season
How about you??
Still considering one last trip to the big lake next weekend depending on weather??
Old 10-18-2002, 09:49 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

TIME FOR NEW GIRL
Old 10-18-2002, 09:51 AM
Registered

Talking Just Once

I lose my trane of thought just looking at that picture!!

Quick Reply: OHIO OSOer's! Central Ohio fall shootout.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.