Notices

Birth Of A Poker Run

Old 01-31-2017, 12:05 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,208 Posts
Default Birth Of A Poker Run

Coming in June, the Kuttawa Thunder Poker Run will be the first event of its kind on two Kentucky lakes, http://www.offshoreonly.com/articles...of-a-poker-run.

From the OSO home page.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 339 Likes on 118 Posts

Matt, it's Kentucky Lake, not Lake Kentucky, and I guess these people have never heard of the "Thunder Run" poker run that has taken place on another popular lake in KY the same weekend for nearly a decade?

There are just two weekends a year in the state of KY where there are well established poker runs. "So let's start a third Poker run and pick as our date one of the two weekends where a poker run already exists". I don't get it.

Last edited by Marginmn; 01-31-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Give them a break - and wish them luck! This is a positive venture for our sport! I'd really like to attend, but have already booked Cumberland for that weekend. Not all of the powerboats from the western KY area go to the Cumberland Poker Runs.

This will be good for both KY and Barkley Lakes for sure, even though it conflicts with the Cumberland Thunder Run. Hopefully, we can get them to reconsider the dates in the future.

Originally Posted by Marginmn

There are just two weekends a year in the state of KY where there are well established poker runs. "So let's start a third Poker run and pick as our date one of the two weekends where a poker run already exists". I don't get it.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

...and my wife took that picture of Jeff's Fountain at Buzzard Rock last Summer! LOL

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
Give them a break - and wish them luck! This is a positive venture for our sport! I'd really like to attend, but have already booked Cumberland for that weekend. Not all of the powerboats from the western KY area go to the Cumberland Poker Runs.

This will be good for both KY and Barkley Lakes for sure, even though it conflicts with the Cumberland Thunder Run. Hopefully, we can get them to reconsider the dates in the future.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna have to agree with Marginmn....that's a great idea and would be a fun time, but that shows a pretty epic lack of forethought planning it the same weekend as Thunder run. I'll be at cumberland that weekend.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 339 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by rumrunner29
Gonna have to agree with Marginmn....that's a great idea and would be a fun time, but that shows a pretty epic lack of forethought planning it the same weekend as Thunder run. I'll be at cumberland that weekend.
Ditto, I would love to support another poker run in KY, but why in the hell out of the whole summer do they pick a conflicting date for their inaugural run? it's dumb as dirt IMO and a slap in the face of the people who have worked so hard to build the one already up and running - and they even lift the name Thunder? Seriously?

As you said, Epic fail.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:30 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Matt, it's Kentucky Lake, not Lake Kentucky, and I guess these people have never heard of the "Thunder Run" poker run that has taken place on another popular lake in KY the same weekend for nearly a decade?

Yes it is! Looked it up when I wrote the piece and still flipped it around. Since corrected, thank you.

For the record, the story stated that the coming poker run was a first for Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley. Lake Cumberland, though quite obviously in Kentucky and well-known, was not referenced. As for the date conflict, I have no opinion.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:42 PM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Yes it is! Looked it up when I wrote the piece and still flipped it around. Since corrected, thank you.

For the record, the story stated that the coming poker run was a first for Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley. Lake Cumberland, though quite obviously in Kentucky and well-known, was not referenced. As for the date conflict, I have no opinion.
Actually, its not the first! 2010 was the last year of about an 8 year run on Ky lake. 2009 we had 110 boats which was a great turnout and about 90 something in 2010. But the lack of a Poker Run here has been felt and a lot of people here would be interested in helping. It would be great for the area, might look into the scheduling conflict. I also think it's the same weekend as the Cigarette Rondezvous at LOTO and for the Cumberland Run.

https://www.facebook.com/30021011455...9746192707404/

Last edited by Jim Diesel; 01-31-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:11 PM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Btw, if anyone wants to get some discussion going for the KY Lake area it has its own forum under WKYPA in the boat club forums.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:26 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by Jim Diesel
Actually, its not the first! 2010 was the last year of about an 8 year run on Ky lake. 2009 we had 110 boats which was a great turnout and about 90 something in 2010. But the lack of a Poker Run here has been felt and a lot of people here would be interested in helping. It would be great for the area, might look into the scheduling conflict. I also think it's the same weekend as the Cigarette Rondezvous at LOTO and for the Cumberland Run.

https://www.facebook.com/30021011455...9746192707404/
Did the 2010 event you're referencing also incorporate Lake Barkley? If so, I was misinformed and I'll make the appropriate changes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.