Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buying documented boat... expiration is April 30. What to do? >

Buying documented boat... expiration is April 30. What to do?

Notices

Buying documented boat... expiration is April 30. What to do?

Old 02-03-2017, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts
Default Buying documented boat... expiration is April 30. What to do?

Morning folks,

I'm picking up a 311 SR1 next weekend. The boat was a trade in so I'm buying her from the marina. She's documented with the USCG; I've looked up the information on her documents, and it looks like her documents expire in April. If I submit everything to transfer ownership (back of USCG documentation filled out, BOS, proof of US Citizenship) before the expiration date, will I run into any problems due to the USCG speed in processing the transfer? The transfer should be simple being that I'm paying cash for the boat with no lien. Anyone gone though a similar scenario?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-2017, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

The doc date for renewal was in Nov ($25) and due to it was not done there will be a late fee of $10. It takes some time but from the backlog report it won't take that long. The last report date was Jan 27, and all document releases are prior to that date.

Here is the status of documentation
As of January 27, 2017, the dates to use for status checks from the public for the following work areas are:
COMMERCIAL FISH INITIAL - 24JAN17
COMMERCIAL FISH RE-ISSUE - 17JAN17
COMMERCIAL INITIAL - 23JAN17
COMMERCIAL RE-ISSUE - 17JAN17
RECREATIONAL INITIAL - 17OCT16
RECREATIONAL RE-ISSUE - 14OCT16
MORTGAGES & RELATED INSTRUMENTS - 31AUG16
NOTICE OF CLAIM OF LIENS - 04JAN16
SATISFACTIONS - 06SEP16
DELETIONS WITH FEES - 19JAN17
CERTIFICATES OF OWNERSHIP - 23JAN17
RESEARCH (INCLUDING COMPLEX) - 26JAN17
ABSTRACT PROCESSING (INCLUDING ABSTRACT PENDING REVIEW) - 24JAN17
THE NVDC WEEKLY BACKLOG REPORT IS A GENERAL GUIDE ONLY.
The above dates are to be used when responding to a status check.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

My boat is documented. If you have all of the proper paperwork, and submit the documents, it took me about 5 months to get everything in my name and the proper document. What I did until then was keep all of the documents that I had from previous owner and a copy of the ones I submitted to the Coast Gaurd along with the bill of sale. Once its in your name and you get the first certificate, it comes on time yearly for renewal like clockwork and never a problem. Just the initial one take time, they do a research of Title even if its clean to make sure that no previous liens or problems are associated with the boat. This is also the time for you to Rename your boat and assign a different Port of Call if you wish.. Good Luck
Old 02-03-2017, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So I can rename/assign a new hailing port for the boat during the initial transfer?

What happens in the meantime while paperwork is being completed? Just hold on to all of the paperwork so that I can show proof in the case I'm boarded while in the waiting period?
Old 02-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
So I can rename/assign a new hailing port for the boat during the initial transfer?
Yes, and is the best time to do it, just note the additional paper work and the cost for them.

What happens in the meantime while paperwork is being completed? Just hold on to all of the paperwork so that I can show proof in the case I'm boarded while in the waiting period?
Yes, just as cigrocket mentioned
Old 02-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Excellent. This makes me feel better about the process.

Thanks!!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought a boat back in August that was USCG documented.. Neither I nor my lender were familiar with the process..

They have been working on withdrawing it from USCG registration for 7 months now and it's STILL not registered in my name.. They're going to be stuck paying Texas Parks & Wildlife late fees as well....

Guess MY advise is have someone familiar with the process handle it for you....
Old 02-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI with a documented boat you can search for it to verify owner & previous owners, liens too: http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/Coas...selByName.html

I would check that when buying any boat, it helps you verify the story. If it's some sort of performance boat I assume most likely there was a lien on it, otherwise it would not have been documented - some lenders require it.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Registered

Never tried to remove a vessel from being documented, but it is my opinion it can only be done IF the person which buys the boat, is a non-US Citizen. It cannot be remove just because someone no longer wants it documented. In doing so the boat is no longer registered in the USA. Most banks only want a boat to be documented so it can be tracked and found no matter where it goes.

Here is the FAQ's
https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp

Here is the form to be used to remove from documentation
https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/instr/inst%20deletion.pdf
Old 02-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the link in the above post.

A vessel may be deleted from documentation upon the request of the vessel owner or an authorized agent on behalf of the owner. The request must be in writing and is to include the vessel’s official number. The original Certificate of Documentation (COD) is to be returned by the owner named on the certificate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.