32' Sunsation....impressive speeds >

32' Sunsation....impressive speeds

Notices

32' Sunsation....impressive speeds

Old 10-08-2002, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 32' Sunsation....impressive speeds

Who's got the skinny on the 32 Sunsation?
This past weekend myself (25 AT), Ken (30 Sonic), Scott (26 Sonic) and HotBoat (28 Scarab), were running a pretty brisk pace. Actually WOT for myself for a minute or two, well I start backing off only to get punched in the arm repeatedly by my g/f. Low and behold there is an unidentifed boat comming up on us fast (Christine hates to lose). Well we ran it for a few but could'nt hold him off.
Turns out its a 32' Sunsation, stepped bottom. SINGLE 500HP w/ a procharger. Extension box, dual ram steering ext. Quite a nice setup and he said he has run mid 80's on GPS.
Thats a fast single for that length. Anyone else have one?
Old 10-08-2002, 11:00 AM
Registered

I didnt.
He was heading in and we stopped for about 5 minutes, the water was quite snotty so we all yelled back and forth from a distance. If I met this guy on land I would not have taken him
seriously. I was shocked to say the least when I reliezed he only had one bravo hanging under that outdrive.
I dont know anything about Sunsation. Im assuming they have two bottoms, a step and a conventional?
Is the step a new design?
Interior or not, mid 80's in a 32V.....I need to know more
Old 10-08-2002, 11:16 AM
Bayley

I once saw a 32' with a custom built 540 blower motor that was supposedly pushing out around 750hp. Owner claimed low 80's guaranteed, with a personal best of 85 mph. He also said it had quite the appetite for Bravo's. An OSO member (Lee) has a F1 prepped Dominator (no cabin) and said he has seen 79 mph with a single HP500. So another 250hp should easily get someone to 85 mph.

The dominator has had two hull designs. The original non stepped, and the newer Vortex hull. The hull has one partial step that ends at the first strake. I think the light lay-up and moderate sized pad give the hull its speed. With twin 454 mag's, I was seeing about 77 - 78 mph. I added a set of Whipple’s and have ticked off a best of 91 mph (OK, it was actually 90.9 mph). Most of the guys with the HP500's (twin setup) claim mid to high 80's, and every now and then someone claims 90 mph.

The boys are currently working on the32’ Innovator which has a totally new hull design than the Dominator. They had the first Innovator out at the owners Rally this summer, but weren't totally satisfied with the characteristics of the design. They have since hired the guy who designed the Gladiator (can't remember his name) to finish up design on the bottom. This design will be the test platform for the new SS396 (40 footer). Hopefully, there will be a 40 footer ready for next Summer's owner Rally.

Dave Hare (C.O.O., I think) checks this board every now and then, so hopefully he'll chime in with his input.

-Bayley

Old 10-08-2002, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2000 28.8 with a 100% stock 502 and it runs 68 Mph at 5000 rpm. I was looking at a 32 with twin 500 efi's asking 110K. Damn stock market I lost too much money to buy it now
Old 10-08-2002, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask Rick32, he has a Dominator with twin HP500's and that thing accelerates pretty fast.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:39 AM
Registered

Default I was there toooooooo.....

Yes that boat did fly, but with a whipple charged 750HP single, I would expect it to be pretty quick. I figure we were running 75 when he caught us from behind and blew by us....

The sunsation IS light for a 32, but come see me next season when he's on his 2nd or 3rd drive.. running that much HP through a single 32 footer is probably not a good thing..
Old 10-08-2002, 11:47 AM
Designie

I saw the F-1 boat that Lee was running here on Lake St. Clair, and he was running light lay-up with a single 500Hp and a bravo drive. (That boat didn't have F-1 graphics did it?) I have a 1993 with twin carb. 365's and I run 71 on GPS. He came by me pretty good during the rally a few years back so I would guess mid to high 70's, and that was a n/a 500 hp. That procharged single probably would run 80's. I love mine, it's older with no step and it still runs fast considering the power I have. They're fast boats.

Old 10-08-2002, 12:08 PM
Registered

Bayley,
The rumour I heard was Peter Hedlin(sp) was redesigning the bottom. There is a big article in either last months Powerboat or the month before that.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:18 PM
rick32

FAST ! is definitly not the correct English I would use... Too Simple to describe........

So. I'll try: .... Seat of your pants fast and looking very good with your hair on fire while do'in it too ! ...howz that ?

These boat's are all that and more... Although light in the lay-up , very, very strong and built extremly well ! Take it from me....I run all the time in the Pacific with the big boys..... and they'll tell ya the same thing !!!!!!!!!

As for this guy & his speeds... very possible ! I was in goey fresh water this weekend and still managed to fly , fly, fly...

Vroom, Vroom,
Rick32

Old 10-08-2002, 12:54 PM
Registered

Rick, I agree, like I said if I had met him at the bar and he was only talkin I woulda told him to lay off the sauce.
I saw it, I would say he "walked by" but as some board members will atest....Ill go up in flames if I think I got a chance to win. I backed off and let Ken get'em with his twin 502 prochargers. Ken got him but certainly didnt embarass him. No one relized he was a single until we all stopped.

Help me on this;
The guys running the twin 502's are the (non-stepped) Dominator hull design? I would expect a light 32 with big twins to run 90.
The guy that I saw this weekend was a single 502 procharged w/ the Inovator hull??? This guy is running within a few mph w/ 1 motor?
These hulls cant even be in the same league.

500HP w/ Procharger = 650hp
502mag x 2 = 940 hp
??????

I just might go and gut the AT tonight

Quick Reply: 32' Sunsation....impressive speeds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.