Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Waverunner question???????? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/34451-waverunner-question.html)

29scarab 10-08-2002 12:26 PM

Waverunner question????????

I know some of you own PWC's.

My girlfriend and I have been looking at some used waverunners to buy and use in smaller lakes where I can't run my boat.

She has a 4 year old, so were needing to find a brand that has a good riding hull. I know there is a lot of brands out there and I don't know a lot about them. I know all there hull designs are a little different.

I'm a powerboater!! I know to stay out of the middle of the lake!!:D :D

Thanks!!

BAJA WILL 10-08-2002 12:31 PM

If its going to be all three of you riding get a 4 person one, I think Seedoo makes the largest, or get one of the little jet boats Yamaha makes.;)

29scarab 10-08-2002 12:35 PM

Were looking at buying a pair of them, so it will be a couple of 2 seaters or 3 seaters.

Thanks for the reply!!:D

Shane 10-08-2002 12:39 PM

I have a Sea-Doo SPX. They say it is for 2 people...We also have the new Yamaha 4-Stroke. If it is in the budget I would HIGHLY reccommend it. SMOOOTH as can be, plenty of power and great handling.

Good luck. Shane

29scarab 10-08-2002 12:59 PM

Shane,

That was a question I was fixing to ask. I heard due to EPA issues slowly but surely 2 strokes were going to be out lawed on some lakes. I know of some lakes already implementing this.

What are 4 strokes roughly going for? I would rather buy one thats not going to have to be converted later on.

Tantrum 10-08-2002 01:05 PM

IMO the Yamaha can not be beat in reliability.
It is the only one of the manufecturer's that has put thought into the fact that they are used in water. From grease fittings to separate battery compartments its well thought out.
Im not up on the latest models but I have a 95 Raider and 95 Venture. The Venture is way big and has lots of storage. The Raider is more fun to ride but is really a 1 up machine. We used to ride the lakes and take them camping, lots of fun.
Get one of each, a three man and a single. It makes a good mix and covers the bases.

Shane 10-08-2002 01:11 PM

The emmissions factor played in a big role in the decision to buy the 4-Stroke. As Tantrum said, YAMAHA's reliability is second to NONE! The fit and finish on the YAMAHA is impeccable. The machine is amazingly quiet and has tremendous amountsof power all through the power curve. It fires up each and every time without hesitation. The ride quality is phenominal but I have tried any of the other brands this size. It is pricey though. I would look to buy left over or 1 year used unless you have $8500+ for each. I think they were actually selling for near $10,000 in some locations. I have a friend in teh business that helped me out.

Good luck.

Shane

Iggy 10-08-2002 02:21 PM

For a first time rider, look into Yamaha and Polaris.
We tried a Sea-Doo and found it too unstable. Damn thing almost rolled as we were trying to get on.:eek:
The Yamaha was a lot better and fun to ride.
Then we tried the Polaris. Stable as rock and comfortable to ride. You can litterally stand on the gunnel and it won't try to roll over. I was sold. I have two '95 SL750's. Been lots of fun. We started taking my grandson out on them when he was 2 years old. We never worried about being tossed off or possibly rolling over.
Look into the Polaris, you won't be sorry.

29scarab 10-08-2002 02:24 PM

Thanks Iggy!!

:D :D

stevel 10-08-2002 03:01 PM

I currently own Kawasaki's, Yamaha's and Sea- Doos. If I were to narrow it down to just two I would pick a Sea-Doo GTX and a Sea Doo XP.

The GTX is smooth, dry, comfortable and handles well. (Great for wives and kids!). It is available in a 4 stoke this year that won rave reviews from everyone and next year comes the supercharged 4 stroke!

The XP is a one rider crotch rocket. It is fast and handles great. It is actually capable of turning faster than most people can hang on. It is a lot of fun on the small craft warning days!

Kawasaki = top notch build quality, fast, not as many features and comfort as the others.

Yamaha and Sea Doo are about the same. Good Build Quality. Yamaha leans towards performance and handling at the expense of comfort and convenience. Sea Doo has pretty much the same speed and handling with more comfort.

Steve