Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone have volvo 600hps (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/34463-anyone-have-volvo-600hps.html)

mmo jo 10-08-2002 04:29 PM

Anyone have volvo 600hps

How do you like them ?

C_Spray 10-08-2002 07:03 PM

Love 'em. All good parts (really good parts), closed cooling, never stall around the docks and run like a top. If you get ones with Eickert manifolds, be real careful about keeping your strainers really really clean - I've had some problems with the right hand manifolds getting hot and cracking. Seems like the left sides live OK.

...and $37,000 cheaper per pair than 575SCi's.... (True)

Too bad they don't sell 'em anymore. :(

PhantomChaos 10-08-2002 07:13 PM

Chuck-

Do you think that the fact that they don't make them anymore hurt the resale value? Isn't a GM block and parts anyway?

Ike 10-08-2002 07:22 PM

A buddy of mine has them in a 2000 38 scarab and has no problems with them. They sound awesome and run very strong.

kaama82 10-08-2002 07:38 PM

I rode in a 38 Scarab at the Miami boat show a couple of years ago that had them. Couldn't believe how well the boat responded around the docks. To bad their sought after item..

Andy Buzz 10-08-2002 11:12 PM

If somone is looking for a new pair, I think that I know where two new crate motors are. If you are interested email [email protected]

C_Spray 10-09-2002 12:34 AM

Nort - They're all good parts - BowTie Block, GM heads, Crower crank/rods, Manley, Melling, Crane, JE, Holley (EFI) etc. etc. plus Volvo's fuel vapor separator - NO vapor lock. (Listening, 500EFI owners?) They probably didn't sell due to lackluster marketing and the fact that they weren't "mainstream" (ie Mercury). I'm not worried about resale - I ordered my Formula custom built with the intention of keeping for 10 years or so.

Ike - Yep, there are lot's of 'em there at Anchor, and the do sound awesome (loud)....

Kaama - Control around the docks - :D :D :D

mmo jo - If Andy Buzz's engine aren't the real deal, Innovation will build a set for you.

By the way - no blowers, just lots of cubic inches (540). :cool:

DanL 10-09-2002 07:33 AM

Innovation Marine in Sarasota officially built all the Volvo big block performance engines. Not a bad contract.

Ike 10-09-2002 07:53 AM

Chuck, Do you know the cam specs? Thank's, Ike.

C_Spray 10-09-2002 02:36 PM

Ike - Sorry don't have the specs. If you call Innovation, you might be able to get them from Dave Stiff. Sorry I don't have a Phone #, but they're listed in the Sarasota directory. (Trade you a ride in my Formula for a ride in your Apache next summer?)

Troutly - The 600 spec's are very close to the engine that they build tons of for the military. Seems the military was chewing up Bulldogs by the basketload, and get much longer life out of these.