Notices

Drive temp guages...???

Old 10-10-2002, 03:42 PM
jb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive temp guages...???

Why does Manufac. not put a drive temp guage standard on High performane applications?
I am led to believe that drive temp directly relates to a drive breaking. Not to mention too much HP and doggin the boat hard.
Wouldnt a guage give you an indication someting is near its breaking point???

Also told merc wants NO guage so you CAN break it!
set me straight
Old 10-10-2002, 04:25 PM
Registered

Not so sure about that. I've heard a few drive guys say they have never seen a heat related failure. For Bravos is the constant loading/un-loading of the drive.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:04 PM
rick32

Velo !
Load & Unload directly create heat through stress .... Heat is a byproduct of energy, etc, etc ............Come 'on man where you head .......

Rick32

Old 10-10-2002, 06:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have them, I like using them, If one drive is not consistant with the other it will clue me in there may be a problem brewing. Someone else just blew a drive because of little or no fluid. I think the indicator would of helped. Either high temp or no temp would signal a fluid loss.

If drive temp is not an issue why do they sell so many drive coolers? It couldn't all be bunk...
Old 10-10-2002, 06:56 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Merc mechanic friend of mine sez a drive shower is the cheapest insurance you can buy
Old 10-10-2002, 07:18 PM
VIP Member

I have had a drive shower (Innovative Marine) on mine since new. I have run it hard always and for the last two seasons I have run 600 hp. with no problems or metal on the magnet. This drive shower is a thick billet type top cap that IMHO strengthens the stock top cap from flexing when you run it hard. I also change fluid every 25 hours along with motor oil. As with ANY internally lubricated machine, heat is the killer of fluids. Heat weakens the fluids thus reducing the gap between things causing metal to metal contact. When the fluid is compromised, that's when things break/wear down.

I feel a drive shower is a requirement for any performance boat and that a drive temp guage is just a way for you to keep an eye on things and practice preventative maintenance by watching temp and changing fluids often. A case of gearlube per year is alot less than a drive repair!!