Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Keeping The Great Lakes Great >

Keeping The Great Lakes Great

Notices

Keeping The Great Lakes Great

Old 03-10-2017, 02:55 AM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts

I knew Erie had some serious issues with toxic algae, but never knew we spent 300million a year on keeping the lakes clean. Hate to imagine what it will look like without cleaning it then...

On the carp, we need an open a season ruling on those suckers. They haven't made it up the Ohio River to my area yet, but if they do my buddies and I will break out the shotguns. My contacts at DNR say you can't shoot fish with a gun. I'll bet we could shoot a boat load of them with the right outboard tuned in... Just give me a couple grand for shells and fuel.. lol
Old 03-10-2017, 05:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
Let's not confuse money with keeping things nice!
What do we get for 300 million?
How efficiently does the government spending your and my money?
How much is wasted on dumb things?
^^ This. I've been working at various federal government agencies over the last 30+ yrs. and you would not believe what goes on at these places.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:44 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
How efficiently does the government spending your and my money?
How much is wasted on dumb things?
How much is wasted on dumb things? Practically all the gov't budget however there are other areas I'd whack first before something that's helping our playground.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Ww

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 03-10-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe we need to do a better job stewarding the lakes. That being said, after briefly looking into these cuts I could not find much about if or what that 300 million had been earmarked for or actually spent on. What I have seen over the years is a lot of money being spent on "studies" that come to various conclusions but very little spent to mitigate or fix problems.

In our area there are 2 major issues, sewage overflows from municipalities and agricultural runoff. Very little has been done about either for many years. IF we get major spending on infrastructure hopefully some of it will go to sewers etc and help with the overflow. As for the ag stuff, there are a few voluntary programs to minimize erosion that actually pay good money but very few participating.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

That being said, after briefly looking into these cuts I could not find much about if or what that 300 million had been earmarked for or actually spent on. What I have seen over the years is a lot of money being spent on "studies" that come to various conclusions but very little spent to mitigate or fix problems.
Ayuh,... Agreed,... The bulk of that 300 million is goin' to "Grants" to finance the lifestyles of "Researchers",...
Darn little goes to actually doin' any cleanin' of the great ponds,...
I own a couple of houses on Lake Ontario,...
The water is cleaner now, than it's been in the last 100 years,...
I'm very comfortable at 10 million, Vs; 300 million,....

Personally, I have a Huge problem with the new water management plan, 2014D,...
The current water management plan, 1958D, has 'em targetin' 2' above, 'n 2 ' below the wanted Average,...
With this plan, My water levels occasionally flood my water front, but is usually Ok, til August or September when it drops to the low point of the year,...
If the lows were pushed back to October would be just fine with me, as pullin' boats can be a problem with the levels we now get,....
The usual excuse is, they need more water in Montreal at that point, so they let more water out through the Moses dam,....
Well,....
The Enviro-terrorists have convinced the elites that the fish have all died off, because the water levels are to stable,...
Which of course is Bullship,.... Tons of fish, 'n Great fishin', both in the lake, 'n on the river,...

Anyways, if 2014D becomes the new rule, water levels are gonna range 3' above, 'n 3' below average,....
3' above average will flood my ground floor of my 1st house, 'n possibly the 2nd,....
3' below average will make it absolutely Impossible to get a boat to a launch ramp,....
It'll cause an estimated 2 Billion bucks of damage, Every year, to properties along Lake Ontario's south shore,...
'n of course, it'll cause the values of my houses to plummet,...
I'll be lucky to get out of 'em, what I paid for 'em,.....
Old 03-10-2017, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Canada should kick in some money as well...it is their problem also. Trump is the guy that could press them. The Asian carp thing is downright scary, even if it costs 300 million I am all for it.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

I just wonder how it became fashionable to decry anything that mentions environment but the largest chunk of the budget by far is defense and it's taboo? No waste there right?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

Burst pipeline is my fear. Why does a foreign pipeline going from Canada and to Canada run underneath Lake Michigan ?

Last edited by Interceptor; 03-10-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 253 Likes on 109 Posts

Near my house the Dearborn resident Jet skiers are worse than any Asian Carp video........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.