Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sea Tow vs. Tow Boat US vs ? >

Sea Tow vs. Tow Boat US vs ?

Notices

Sea Tow vs. Tow Boat US vs ?

Old 10-09-2002, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Dave,youll like this story,last year on the nyc poker run i left libertylanding with half a tank,ran outa gas 1 mile south of the tappan z bridge,drifted about a hour,watched all my buddies that i crused there with go past me. NO ONE STOPPED,the cell phones did not work up there,just said ,out of area, dammm,then some guy in a nice new donzi stopped by and called sea tow and we had there ins,they were very nice,brought me 10 gallons,charged me just for the gas and then followed me to the station on the east side,just north of the bridge cool. now on the HOTTIE TOTTIE run we did this weekend,which was a blast,we were comin back in the moriches bay,low tide,a un named tow boat possibly parked in front of the channel marker,waiting for some happy boaters to come by and make some money. well guess what,i was the first one in 6 inches of water and 20 guys comin up behind me fast,i jumped in and was wavin them to go left. some made it,some didnt. two inboards were next to me,goin nowhere,and a couple of outboards polished there props so i walked over to the MFin tow boat and he said 300 f#^@,so we all pushed and after a hour we got off.if i had ins,it wood have been free,howsthat tripps ps i personally think that the towboat was setting us out of the area boaters up knowing it was low tide,you know last hit before winter$$$$$$$$ hey how u doin? you should do the run next year,check out some of the pics on s+f,i havent been able to gft some on yet,but they are good,on this board also on page three,seeya tripps
Old 10-09-2002, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm on the east coast . I haven't gotten it yet cause my boat isn't ready , AGAIN !! I'm not sure which one , but a friend of mine has one of them and he told me they will tow his boat or any boat he is on !! THats cool ! I'll just keep his # handy and have him run out to meet me if I need him !

tripps , That story sucks ! I think somebody should have sunk the tow boat !
Old 10-10-2002, 08:38 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

A few months ago a buddy of mine ran out of gas on the river here in downtown Chicago. he drifts over and ties up to a break wall infront of a building near a bridge. He calls me up and is asking what he can do to get back. I say flag another boat down and ask if they can give you a tow. As we are talking a boat comes by and he gets their attention........asks if they can help him out.....i can hear over the cell phone as the guy says no!!! and then proceeds to take off. And his passengers are laughing at the fact!!! So i say try and give Tow BoatUS a call......he does and they say $300 for $20 worth of gas!! And its will be about 2 hours before they show up!! So i say give me $100 for my time and i'll come down with some gas......i load up four 5 gallon jugs into the back of my truck and head downtown.......now this was when we were always getting those FBI alerts on how carefull we should be. So imagine this.....i pull up right infront of a bridge in downtown Chicago...pop my hatch and pull out 4 big 5gal jugs of gas that are wrapped in clear plastic (to keep from spilling) and hand then over a steel fence to two guys the take them down to the river! If that wasnt suspicious looking terrorist activity i dont know what was!!! LOL I'm actually surprised the cops didnt show up to see what we were doing!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-10-2002, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used Sea Tow for the past several years and luckily have not had to use them...

But, I've heard that while Sea Tow only covers the vessel, Boat US actually covers the individual...so if you have Boat US and you're out on your buddy's boat(who has neither) and it breaks down, you can get the tow/services you need using your Boat US membership. I would double check on this, but it came from someon who has Boat US...

Good Luck
Old 10-10-2002, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Boat-U.S. vs Sea Tow...

...They're both good as far as I'm concerned and are competitively priced with eachother. The most important thing to look at is who is the best represented in your primary boating areas.

There's nothing worse than having to wait a couple hours for one to show up.

I personally have Boat-U.S. as they also insure my boat and they have a bunch of boats in our area as does Sea Tow.

I've used them once when I vapor-locked the 350MAG on my last boat, a Baja Hammer, and I'm glad I had the coverage. The tow came out to $900 for about one hour and I'm fortunate I had the unlimited coverage.

For 99bucks a year, you're covered for unlimited tows...You can't beat it.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You are mostly correct, Sean!

Boat-U.S. will cover you regarless of whether it's your boat or not.

The only stipulation is you must be the captain(borrowed boat or chartered boat). If the owner is on the boat at the time, you are not covered. (but there are ways around that)

Last edited by Baja Daze; 10-10-2002 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Tom
What Insurance carrier? I can't find anybody to insure my boat. As I keep looking I figure I can at least cover towing.

P.S. When are we going for that ride?

Tom
Tom,

I have my boat insured through State Farm.

About the ride, I'm up for heading out on the water just about every weekend so just let me know what works for you.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:40 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

At the prices these guys charge i should go buy my own boat and start up myown deal! I'd charge half and still make a killing!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1867045057

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-10-2002, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by US1 Fountain
I HIGHLY recommend either! Had to call Tow Boat US when we lost a prop on Erie this summer. Towed us less than 3 miles. Charge was $1850, we *****ed enough that the operator lowered it to $800. Had to pay up front!
These prices are freakin' rediculous. It really surprises me that Boat US would charge such rates considering they are supposedly "all about the boater." I can understand covering costs but don't try to pay for the whole operation with one tow.

Fortunately, I've never needed a tow but this thread has really opened my eye's. I will definitely have this coverage next season.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

how about you just carry their # with you . IF you brake down , call them and sign up ......... tell them your going out today with your new boat and want it covered ... Give it an hour and call them back for a tow !!

Wally , I had one like that,, kind of ..... I once had a 24 baja .I got stuck on the beach and couldn't get off . I was out there with my girl pushing and pushing ... SOme guys come over in a boat and ask if I need help then start laughing and take off !! Well I got off then !!! I put the drive all the way up , put in in reverse and set it on 5000 rpm's !!!! It backed out after a minute or 2 !!! THen I chased them down and had every intension of launching one of those nice "white" practice flares into there boat but ,, Unfortunatly MR water patrol was there watching as I caught them !! SO I just told the cop about it and he said he would go harass them and find a reason to give them a ticket !!

Quick Reply: Sea Tow vs. Tow Boat US vs ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.