Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat shopping has become frustrating.... >

Boat shopping has become frustrating....

Notices

Boat shopping has become frustrating....

Old 03-25-2017, 10:08 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 790 Likes on 257 Posts

JS, fair enough on Bill's 39 and the Davis 32' Sunny but I have a quote for a 32' for far less.

Bill's 39' is really nice but 598hrs vs brand new, especially for my needs, is a no brainer.

I don't want trips/quads either. It's just a local, fun boat. The Skater will stay the event boat.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 882 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
JS, fair enough on Bill's 39 and the Davis 32' Sunny but I have a quote for a 32' for far less.

Bill's 39' is really nice but 598hrs vs brand new, especially for my needs, is a no brainer.

I don't want trips/quads either. It's just a local, fun boat. The Skater will stay the event boat.
My main concern would be the depreciation curve and the appeal of the boat to future buyers.......Bill's boat can be fished/ a Bahamas boat. Sunny not so much.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar

which takes us back to the question, how much are getting a new sunny below list
Old 03-25-2017, 10:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Biggest unknown for a used I/O buyer today should be "Who am I going to sell it to when I am done with it?" How many desirable boats have sat in the classifieds even when priced great? (Cashbars 37 AT comes to mind). How many nice boats are simply sitting because the buyers pool has shrunk to never seen before levels? LOTO dealers seem to sell everything they get their hands on because that is a buyers mecca yet American Muscle 2 can't seem to find its 5th or 6th owner despite being one of the best 46's out there.
The 41 Apache in the classifieds is for sale for 50% of what the seller says the McManus restoration cost! The other glitch will be insurance/financing on the aging fleet. I have seen posts where insurance is getting tough on older boats so that will squeeze the market as well.

Other boats sell within hours or days, some without even being listed so there is certainly a market out there but not like it was 15 years ago.

Speaking of new boats.......When was the last Top Gun built? Seen some new 42X's and 50 Marauders but I can't remember the last TG to roll out of Opa Locka. Ditto for Nortech (the last I/O I remember was Mark Fishers 52V w/1350s but that has to be 2+ years ago).

Was the last Top Gun the burgundy/gold one built for the Qatar team?
Yep!. You'd think the lenders would have figured out the used boat market to be a little more flexible with the financing. But, whatever.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula1
Yep!. You'd think the lenders would have figured out the used boat market to be a little more flexible with the financing. But, whatever.
Banks know better, one blip in the economy, and they end up owning a lot of boats. That story has been repeated a bunch of times. We're in a peak in the market, and ìf you want to sell, now would be a good time
Old 03-25-2017, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 616 Likes on 180 Posts

If American muscle 2 was selling in the low $200s like it sold for the last couple of times it would have been sold
But when it went up to $279k it priced itself out of the market
It's an amazing boat but it's hard to find a buyer that's willing to spend that kind of money knowing that they will have at least $50 yr just to keep it running
Old 03-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by jwws9999
We're in a peak in the market, and ìf you want to sell, now would be a good time
late 90s early 2000s was the Peak in the market,people are starting to buy boats but I would say boat sales are nowhere near the Peak in the market.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:09 PM
Registered

If my resin bucket sunk tomorrow i would be done with performances boats. New and used prices are just stupid money. Most days out i hardly see a performance boat, it takes a lot of fun out of the hobby when racing yourself.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 339 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerplayDave
If my resin bucket sunk tomorrow i would be done with performances boats. New and used prices are just stupid money. Most days out i hardly see a performance boat, it takes a lot of fun out of the hobby when racing yourself.
Places like LOTO and Cumberland still have enough performance boats and HP events on the lake to give a sense of still having a HP community, but it's nothing like someone else mentioned it was back around 2000 when it seemed everybody had a hot boat.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are depressing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.